L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might as well put this here. We had another thread a while back discussing torque production and its effect on stall speed. Someone had linked a calculator and I threw some best educated ball park numbers into it based off what it stalled behind the stock L03 as well as the power curve Engine Analyser spit out for the new engine. Seems like the calculators are pretty accurate. The 6.0L would not stall this converter over ~2,200 rpm. This 350 is stalling it over 2,500. Definitely making more low-speed torque than the 6.0L did. It was trying to break the right rear P275/60R15 loose despite the TH400s tall 1st and the 3.08 ring and pinon with me absolutely standing on the brakes with my left foot. It was a nice secondary test as well. Full load at 2,500 rpm with 27* of timing showing with 87 octane in the tank, no pinging or spark knock either. I repeated the test when it got up to 192F as well, still the same results. If I can run a decent timing curve on 87 with this, I am stoked.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might as well put this here. We had another thread a while back discussing torque production and its effect on stall speed. Someone had linked a calculator and I threw some best educated ball park numbers into it based off what it stalled behind the stock L03 as well as the power curve Engine Analyser spit out for the new engine. Seems like the calculators are pretty accurate. The 6.0L would not stall this converter over ~2,200 rpm. This 350 is stalling it over 2,500. Definitely making more low-speed torque than the 6.0L did. It was trying to break the right rear P275/60R15 loose despite the TH400s tall 1st and the 3.08 ring and pinon with me absolutely standing on the brakes with my left foot. It was a nice secondary test as well. Full load at 2,500 rpm with 27* of timing showing with 87 octane in the tank, no pinging or spark knock either. I repeated the test when it got up to 192F as well, still the same results. If I can run a decent timing curve on 87 with this, I am stoked.

Gonna dial in a couple more degrees of timing?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Romped my size 11 down on the go pedal. Tried to do a two wheel peel, then broke the right rear loose for ~40 ft. These Cooper Cobras are pretty sticky too. Probably has 500+ lbs of junk that was being stored in it in the back of it as well. The 8.1L heads and intake manifold, as well as a couple pair of iron small block heads are back there.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once again the part in the image is not the unit that arrived. Hopefully it still works out. The parallel flow condensers are much thinner than the OE dual pass tube and fin units. It should cover the entire width of the radiator opening in the core support, maybe even a bit wider and still just short enough to clear the secondary hood latch. Those aluminum mounting legs are thin enough to bend as necessary for proper mounting depth, but rigid enough to hold form. The core itself is 30 x 14 making it 420 sq in. I would have to measure it again, but the actual condenser core dimensions on the ones being made wrong for these vans are like 24 x 13, making them 312 sq in. That makes this condenser roughly 30% larger. Based on the construction as well, this looks to be an even more efficient micro tube parallel flow unit as well like the one I put in my 1997 that absolutely rocks as far as a/c pressures and cooling are concerned. My rule of thumb I have come up with, for a Mobile A/C system use the largest, most efficient condensor you can run in the opening provided. The condenser in my 97 is similar sized and carrying a dual evaporator system, this has a single evaporator. The condenser in the 97 is actually providing a bit of subcooling at idle which is almost unheard of in automotive ac system. Subcooling is highly desireable because it ensures only liquid refrigerant is being provided to the a/c systems expansion orifice area (either orifice tube or thermal expansion valve). Subcooling being where the refrigerant outlet temperature is cooler than the condensing point of the refrigerant in the condenser based off its operating pressure and the pressure/temperature curve of the refrigerant in use. There are two easy ways to increase the capacity of a given condenser design, added surface area and added airflow. Increase both while the vehicle is stationary and you are really getting somewhere.

The new headlight doors and grille also arrived. Should look a lot better than the faded, cracked up OE units.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the condenser and grille install were as straight forward as could be. Probably did both in ~2 hours. OE liquid line is going to work perfectly and it looks near factory.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The camera flash makes the condenser steal the spotlight, lol.