L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds good man!
So how far over "budget" are you now?
I have not added everything up but probably in the $5K range for the whole vehicle by the time I get the exhaust on it, ac working and 5 new tires on it. Other than the transmission and rear end it has been totally gone through mechanically. When I am done even the cruise control should work in this old van. I can fire it up, turn on the ac, throw it on the highway, set the cruise and just go.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not added everything up but probably in the $5K range for the whole vehicle by the time I get the exhaust on it, ac working and 5 new tires on it. Other than the transmission and rear end it has been totally gone through mechanically. When I am done even the cruise control should work in this old van. I can fire it up, turn on the ac, throw it on the highway, set the cruise and just go.
That ain't so bad,figured you had more in it than that.
Do you build your own exhausts?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That ain't so bad,figured you had more in it than that.
Do you build your own exhausts?
I sometimes buy direct fit stuff and on stuff like this where aftermarket exhaust kits do not exist, I have had the same muffler shop do my work for the past 20 years. Small business owner that has become a friend of mine. I can generally figure $20 a weld including him bending new pipes, me supplying the mufflers & cats.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sometimes buy direct fit stuff and on stuff like this where aftermarket exhaust kits do not exist, I have had the same muffler shop do my work for the past 20 years. Small business owner that has become a friend of mine. I can generally figure $20 a weld including him bending new pipes, me supplying the mufflers & cats.
That's a pretty fair price for exhaust work. Like you I buy prefit and weld it up myself. Prefer to clamp mufflers,they always seem first to go.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a pretty fair price for exhaust work. Like you I buy prefit and weld it up myself. Prefer to clamp mufflers,they always seem first to go.
Its a pretty fair price and what I consider a good go by price in Dallas/Fort Worth area atleast today. I dropped in a different shop closer to me to have the Proflows wideband 02 bung welded into the hole I had already drilled. In a time pinch, I gladly paid the $20 to get it welded into the LH exhaust downpipe, about 18" down off the manifold. With the turn out on the end it has a solid 3' behind the sensor so that it reads somewhat accurately. Guy had me in and out in 10 minutes tops. If I had stopped at my normal place it would have been 30 minutes of catching up conversation before the work started if he was not swamped busy. He always shows me what he is building, which I enjoy, just no time for it that day or the 15 minute drive each way. Would have taken me over an hour vs the 20 minutes it took.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finished moving my mothers stuff out of storage for her to her new residence. Drove a brand new Uhaul 26 ft truck. F650 with whatever gas V8 they are using now, 6.8L Godzilla based IIRC now. Made me miss the older GM Kodiak 8.1L chassis trucks. My dyno hill that the 97 loafs up in overdrive at 75 mph, I had this thing on the governor at 75 mph going into it and topped it at 58 mph and I was not that heavily loaded.

I have been hunting a battery tray and a few small things to finish this build and suddenly remembered a 1992 G20 cargo van shell I pillaged for parts and a driveline 20 years ago. I was going to scrap the shell then, but my dad hauled the empty shell to his land, put it behind the brush line, out of site on his 20 acres to use as storage for fencing supplies, his ***** launcher, clay birds, the seats for his hunting tripods and the like. I honestly had forgotten it was even there. The county taxes a shed and not a car body so there it sat for years and after he passed the land has largely been untouched. I had not even been up close to the thing in 10 years. Well I snagged my battery tray and also found a whole stack of new T-posts for the garden that is going in, to build a trellis for beans and such.

I also noticed that shell still has a near perfect rear bumper as well as the pop open rear and side door glass with the polished stainless trim in the same door configuration as the 87 G20. I will save them when I haul it out for scrap along with the nearly un-obtainable no longer produced lower control arms and other such pieces. The battery tray and knowing I have a nice, complete set of swing out glass was a nice score. My mom still owns the land and honestly I plan to buy it from her and put a shop with a living area on it sooner than later. It is a mile from the lakehouse she still owns that I will soon also be working on as well.

The dumb battery tray has been the hardest part to track down on this whole build and sadly as much effort as I have spent looking for one, I had it all along if I had remembered it was there. Luckily it is still solid, little bit of surface rust to wire wheel off, treat and some paint should make it last for years more. With the battery tray secured, one step closer to finishing this thing and getting it road ready. The rest of my wiring supplies have arrived as well, when I get back to the shop I have maybe 4-6 hours of wiring left to do, install the condenser and evaporator core that have arrived. Then it is a steering gear box, pitman arm, shocks and get the new Cooper Cobra P275/60R15s mounted and balanced. At that point I can throw it on the road, get the engine fully broken in and do a little cruising. Then to the ac hose shop and muffler shop for finishing touches.

You must be registered for see images attach

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love them Coopers!!! They've got a nice medium/soft compound that grips really well in the wet for 60 series tires. And they're made in the USA!!! I've got Michelins on Smoky but only because they were on there when I got it. Can't wait to wear 'em out so I can put some Coopers on it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Love them Coopers!!! They've got a nice medium/soft compound that grips really well in the wet for 60 series tires. And they're made in the USA!!! I've got Michelins on Smoky but only because they were on there when I got it. Can't wait to wear 'em out so I can put some Coopers on it.

Cooper got bought out recentlyish, I believe by the Chineses. Hopefully they don't screw with operations!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not know if I mentioned it but the rest of the stuff to finish the wiring has arrived. I also ordered an inexpensive Rivet Nut kit that looks decent. The cushion clamps are also here to finish securely mounting the fuel lines. Since the floor crossmember is thin sheetmetal, I will be installing nutserts to hold the cushion clamps. I will also go back and install them for the power steering reservoir and fuel pump/kickdown relay bracket.

The OE grille was cracked and had some damaged tabs on it when I removed it. The head light bezels also had some cracks and damage on them. It was almost as if someone bumped into something above the bumper line before I bought the thing. I have a solution for that on the way. I have always liked the square tube style grills on the trucks, SUVs and vans with this style front end. Also as normal, every external light bulb has an LED replacement here for it along with the LED style replacement flashers.

I also have the ac hose fabrication scheduled for the week after next. The ac hoses will be very straight forward. #8 off the a/c manifold to a #8 90* through the core support to match to the 6.2L diesel condenser, stock GM metal liquid line to the evaporator and a #12 straight fitting off the accumulator to a #12 hose to the a/c manifold. Hoses will be barrier type with barrel crimps so that the system has minimal leakage.

Time to get it insured and registered so I can legally have it on the road.

Last piece of the puzzle will be getting it to the exhaust shop for the exhaust system fabrication.

Once it is road ready mechanically, I will be driving it to mom's place. Carpet is getting ripped out, new flooring, recovering the seats, headliner and door panels. Then perhaps order new weatherstripping. Then it is time to just enjoy it. Hope to put a few thousand trouble free miles on it this spring before hitting the road for Power Tour in June.

Last edited: