is ACDelco 10-4051 gear oil discontinued?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the Eaton mechanical locker .pdf;

'Maintenance free, requires no lube additives'.

That's not clear enough, surely, given that 'lube additives' are in every lube of every kind beyond animal fat in a wooden axle. But the intent here is certain if not clear; the mechanical locker does not have the static load that a spring loaded limited slip does when it's not engaged, so doesn't need that lube slip added. Also this illuminates why they say it may delay engagement, because the friction of the discs is what forces the ramping and clamping of the disc pack.
The Eaton .pdf I found is all the way back to 2009, and makes no reference to lube recommendation beyond the above. Given the state of affairs with lubes in general, and changing sources/alliances/marketing/part numbers, I don't see any real way to be certain you have the 'best overall' or even 'OEM equivalent' lube, and given the different requirements of 4-wheeling a jeep trail with an empty 1500 or pulling a 10,000lb horse trailer behind the barn with your diesel dually, there may be no 'perfect' lube. Additionally, it's pointed out that pre-'98 vehicles have seals that like mineral oils, and synthetics may lead to leaks. I use Chevron Delo ESI in all my gearboxes; it's GL5 and has Mack and Meritor approvals, and has no indication that it accommodates limited slip differentials (which are never in heavy-duty axles, either). It reduced the bevel drive temperature on my Moto Guzzi 1100 by about 15*F.
FWIW.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the state of affairs with lubes in general, and changing sources/alliances/marketing/part numbers, I don't see any real way to be certain you have the 'best overall' or even 'OEM equivalent' lube... ...Additionally, it's pointed out that pre-'98 vehicles have seals that like mineral oils, and synthetics may lead to leaks.
^^^ All of that.

The best we can hope for is that some Generous Soul (i.e., "sucker") shows up at a GM Stealership and asks the Parts Guy for whatever gear lube is now recommended for G80 in trucks, which may mean taking the bulletin, reading off the recommended part number, and asking what part number superseded that one.

And if the Parts Guy yanks a bottle off the shelf, and says "try this", I'd want PROOF that the stuff he just handed out is correct, and not just a knee-jerk reaction where he grabs whatever gear lube happens to be closest, or "best selling".

I note that www.gmpartsgiant.com says GM 12378261 is superseded by 88900401.
www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-lubricant-gr-synthetic-sae-75w-90-1-qt-12378261.html
88900401 is the same as the ACDelco 10-4016 "grape juice" I posted earlier.

That's good enough for me. I'm declaring "Grape Juice" to be the G80 Gov-Lock lube of love.

I'm not saying I'm going to buy three quarts of that stuff and drain my 9.5" axle. I'm saying that I now believe that 10-4016 is the GM-recommended fluid for Gov-Lock differentials.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless the lube specifically states it's for limited slip'swith additives I wouldn't assume it has LS additive in it. Plenty of gear oil out there that is just gear oil for use in transmissions and other gear boxes. A G80, is not a clutch type diff like an Auburn and some Eatons.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a letter from Eaton stating that GM bought the lube from Texaco. And boils down to , no " friction modifier " or what some called "lube additive" in Eaton gear locker. One GM number is mineral standard GL5. The other is synthetic GL5 also approved for PTU. Although " not for trucks " the bulletin number references factory fill in all cars, front diff, and 8.6 diffs. The copyright date is old. GM has a way of being a little lax on updating label information. The do not use in trucks caution, could be the " rtv synthetic gear lube conflict" .
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The best we can hope for is that some Generous Soul (i.e., "sucker") shows up at a GM Stealership and asks the Parts Guy for whatever gear lube is now recommended for G80 in trucks, which may mean taking the bulletin, reading off the recommended part number, and asking what part number superseded that one.

@MrPink is a former GM engineer and now works in a dealer parts department. He's not on here as often since he got rid of his truck, but if he sees this maybe he could shed some light on the specs of the original part number from the TSB (10950849) and/or recommend a current GM/ACDelco replacement.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After spiralling down the rabbit holes on this same topic for 6 months I landed on the ACDelco 10-4016. Been working fine, admittedly not a ton of miles, maybe 1000, fwiw.
It's available on amazon:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfect time to find this thread, as I'll need this in a few weeks. And it's nice that that oil is cheaper than most.
After spiralling down the rabbit holes on this same topic for 6 months I landed on the ACDelco 10-4016. Been working fine, admittedly not a ton of miles, maybe 1000, fwiw.
It's available on amazon:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfect time to find this thread, as I'll need this in a few weeks. And it's nice that that oil is cheaper than most.
CHEAPER than most? It's double or more than what I'd normally pay for gear lube.

OTOH, it's not insanely priced, a truck doesn't need gallons of it, and it's good for 50K plus miles.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CHEAPER than most? It's double or more than what I'd normally pay for gear lube.

OTOH, it's not insanely priced, a truck doesn't need gallons of it, and it's good for 50K plus miles.

Yeah even at twice the price it's not a dealbreaker, you do it once every few years (or decades as most do) The oil in my Q60 is $30 a quart, and most synthetic is $20 or more. I went to 3 parts stores last week looking for oil for my 250's rear, and only one store had anything less than $21.99. I guess they only want to sell synthetic anymore, which is fine but give us options too.

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after much reading I finally decided to use the Valvoline 80W/90.