Going to be changing the gear oil in my 2000 chev k2500, what GL5 oil do yall recommend in the G80 rear end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyguy2000

Reaction score
Well I got the tailight situation taken care of. Thanks again guys for the help. Going to be changing the gear oil in my rear end, read it takes GL5 oil without additives. What oil do yall use in your G80 rear ends? Got some rural king brand (providence automotive) GL5 oil. Haven't used it, want to ask everybody what oils yall use(d) and what to stay away from. Thanks again guys have a great evening.
Mike

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
A G80 isnt a limited slip with clutches, its a mechanical 'locker'

Any good quality oil is fine. I dont have the service manual in front of me but just match the weight that it recommends. Since your in FL, you could get by with heavier oil without any problems. Just dont go lighter than spec.

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Master Pro from O'Reilly Auto Parts. It works well and doesn't have the LS additives in it so your G80 will be happy. Best part is it's readily available so you can usually pop into any O'Reilly's and grab a few quarts.

Chevyguy2000

Reaction score
I was just at O'Reilly auto today. Had to take a friend there to get a part for his car was looking at their gear oils while he was talking to the clerk about his part. Was looking at a castrol gear oil. Yeah I've been on the fence trying to research gear oils for my truck. Know to be cautious of those bronze bushings and avoid additives like the plague. Yall have helped me alot and learn alot about these trucks and grateful to learn and hear yalls experiences on these trucks too.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The ACDelco 10-4016 that Schurkey mentioned is the correct stuff. We verified that with MrPink who is a former GM engineer, now working at a dealer parts department.

I used ACDelco 10-4051 in both of my '97s with good results as well, but it seems like that part number has been discontinued.