G80 ready to blow up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMarino

Reaction score
Yesterday, as I was taking off from having been parked at the side of the road, I'd advanced at a slow speed at most 10 meters when suddenly and with a very loud CLUNK, I lost power to the rear wheels. I thought the U joint had tore apart. But I soon found out that was not the case.

As cars were approaching behind me, and apparently there was still some power left, I gently but steadily continued accelerating in order to get to the side of the road, but as I did this, it became clear the driver's side rear wheel was locked up and only the passenger side rear wheel had free movement.

I managed to get the truck out of the way by advancing slowly and dragging the locked up tire, and as soon as I completely stopped, another CLUNK was heard and all returned to normal. This sound was however different from the first, it was as the one heard when putting the gear selector out of parking and into drive when truck has been parked on an incline.

Truck (1997 K1500) has the 4l60e transmission, 10 bolt - 3.46 gear ratio - G80 limited slip rear differential. Parking brake is disconnected. Rear drum brakes were looking ok when I inspected them a few months ago.

I care for this truck, it's my daily and use it thoroughly on highway use, offroad (forest service roads) and towing within its limitations say once a month.

I'm at a loss on what could have happened to cause this. I need to be sure what was it as I can't have this happen at high speeds on the highway as that would be damn mayhem.

I actually was planning on very soon doing a diff oil change, as that's the only fluid replacement I haven't done on this truck since I bought it 1.5 year ago (I did inspect the fluid soon after getting the truck), so I'll be doing this and taking a look inside the diff.

But I think it all inside there should be fine. I mean, after this incident, I drove around 60 miles at highway speed and around town with no issue whatsoever. If something did break, I wouldn't expect to even be able to drive it anymore.

Can anyone give me a hint on what could've been the issue here?

Thanks folks!

You must be registered for see images attach

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe a wheel bearing, if a ball or roller cracks through the middle it can stay aligned together as one piece for ages, then for no reason rotate like a sprag clutch and lock the axle up but removing the load allowed for it to realign and you were able to continue.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something unusual, unknown caused a potential catastrophic incident, and you didn't decide to return home and pull the rear wheels, drums, and diff's cover ? What's Murphy's Law on knowledge of something wrong but ignoring a problem waiting to happen?
The correct answer is " check and inspect ".

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this out of "Transmissions" and into "Axles + Brakes".

My experience has been that if a G80 is going to blow up, you don't drive it for another sixty miles. You skid to a stop, and then the tow-truck hauls it away.

I've seen multiple vehicles where the brake lining separates from the shoe, and causes all sorts of locking-wheel problems that come and go.