PARKING BRAKE pedal won't release (not the cable) - trick to disengage? (1994 - 2500 - 2wd)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevius

Reaction score
1994 - Silverado - 2wd - Extended Cab - Duo-Servo Rear Drum Brakes

TOPLINE:
DOES ANYONE KNOW if there's a trick to release the pedal from under the dash.

I didn't get very far in my attempts as there's a black plastic bit that makes it impossible to see the side of the mechanism enough. (heating tube and outlet i think)
QUESTION: is it easy to take out that black plastic heating bit i wonder.

--- DETAILS BELOW ---

Good bit of fun over past month - i knew the parking brake was getting funny as I'd often have to use my toe to pull it up while holding the release cable handle out.

Parked it over the bad weather ENGAGED (pedal full down) - now over the past month I've been 'enjoyably" puzzling out how to get the pedal to pop back up.

initially i tried to not so gently force the pedal to come back up - WHILE pull the release cable handle out of course.

Dang. way stuck.

Finally got the rear brake drums off after using the screwdriver through the parking brake adjustment gaps maneuver.

When I pull the cable under the truck the parking brake AT the drums works fine.
Also, at a long considered guess (from observations and listening) I figure the front half of the cable from the pedal onward is acceptable and not rusted.

NOTE: i visually confirmed the parking brake release handle and cable appear fine when pulled - though i assume nothing *-)

DOES ANYONE KNOW if there's a trick to release the pedal from under the dash.
I've been ALL over youtube and the forum. no luck yet finding guru info.

At a guess it's the pedal mechanism as there's never been a click-click-click when pressed - and it goes all the way to the floor in use.
NOTE: I think i recall that not all parking brakes have audible clicking mechanisms.

best wishes to all

nearly spring i missed the entire summer last year so lots to catch up on this year with the truck.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's not an issue I've really seen on these trucks so I've never investigated it closely, but surely there's a way to release the mechanism under the dash. If I had a parking brake mechanism in hand loose from the truck it would be cake to figure out, but I don't. I've figured this out a few times in the past on other vehicles, but I do understand there may be parts in your way obstructing the view. Maybe try a small inspection mirror to see around the parts in your way?

Richard

Frankinstyn

Reaction score
It's not an issue I've really seen on these trucks so I've never investigated it closely, but surely there's a way to release the mechanism under the dash. If I had a parking brake mechanism in hand loose from the truck it would be cake to figure out, but I don't. I've figured this out a few times in the past on other vehicles, but I do understand there may be parts in your way obstructing the view. Maybe try a small inspection mirror to see around the parts in your way?

Richard
Why did you respond?

In the attached picture, you can see the assembly. The arrow in red points to the attachment point for the pull handle. If your pull handle isn't functioning you can pull that lever in the direction of the blue arrow. The lever is normally quite easy to pull with one finger.

I just replaced the whole assembly in my suburban due to rust.

Attachments

• parking brake.jpg
    parking brake.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 24

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. I just read about the park brake problem. You mention that it's been getting closer and closer to the floor. My first thought is the " rack and pawl " ( I think ). Is the device that locks pedal in position. That you have over run the end of the rack , and the spring loaded pawl is off the rack. On the firewall side. Even though pulling the release with the pawl off the rack , it's like a derailed train wheel. I had this happen to my handbrake in the Toyota.
That's my initial thought, with the low pedal. A mirror and screwdriver to get pawl back on track.
Since I can't see it, this is my initial idea. I'm going to look on my truck shorty. :waytogo:

chevius

Reaction score
SUPER helpful EVERYONE - Richard did the bump/kick *-)
amazed at all the replies!!!

yea, had wondered if it was running off a gear/sprocket kinda. " rack and pawl "

For sure I'll write back here when i've, struggled some more (haha)
Got some leads now I never coulda gotten otherwise.

HUGE thanks.

Gonna go out and take pix of black plastic obstructing view.
didn't wanna just haul it out as it seems to go towards the firewall.

PICTURE upload later today. currently 3:30 p.m.ish westcoast

chevius

Reaction score
THREE PIX
Reality-Joke: a lotta things look worse close-up than they actually are, maybe*-)

The closest under-dash screw for the square-ish black plastic bit is missing and presumed to have been removed - so, hopefully this entire black fitting (to do with heat I reckon) comes out AND can be put back in without, swearing!-)

In any event - big thanks again - it's been over a month sitting which is par for my winter motivation!

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20240214_165137.jpg
    20240214_165137.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240214_165259.jpg
    20240214_165259.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 13