PARKING BRAKE pedal won't release (not the cable) - trick to disengage? (1994 - 2500 - 2wd)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevius

Reaction score
NOTE: "GoToGuy" in post #6 mentioned rack and pawl - and going off the rail.
That's gotta be it (?) - and worst case i reckon. (unless i find out something about front cable that surprises me - can't see how though as it's loose enough)

there's tons of black heat ducting (with cable/mechanisms inside) in the way - before i can get behind there --
i figure i better undo the battery negative before attempting screwdriver anything -hahahaha

Anyways, the photos above show all the heat duct plastic - can't see how the heck to get that all out at all.

ok, flashlight should be charged up now - i'm charging out to go for it again!-)

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
can't see how the heck to get that all out at all.
Have you looked into the service manual for disassembly steps to R&R the pedal assembly. It will likely make removing ducting easier or at least point you towards the right direction for minimizing broken plastic.

The FSM should be available in the sticky threads under Engine Perf. and Maint.

chevius

Reaction score
went out and impressed myself by hacksawing thru the 3" long metal bit that joins the front cable to the rear portion.
what i lack in tools, and tips and tricks smarts, i made up for in pig-headed stay-with-it-ness.

took a long time (i boast!-)

after trying to put some wood behind the joiner i was to cut in half, the wood was just so's i'd have something to hack on - that was crap.

So,
I eventually came up with using one hand to hold the vice-grips grabbed onto one end of the metal joiner -

then, the move was:
saw with one arm while pulling the vice-grips towards me, using the cable tension after getting the knack of it.

WORKED,
got most of the way thru it, then broke it in half.

Not the worst ever:
I won't tell ya about my first experience with a my ball-joint tool. grizzly long time and sore for days. one of my proudest moments! heh-heh

[MANUAL STUDY]
SO, yes, thanks, i have the digital manual i ebayed years back, though not with me here. no biggie.

[TOMORROW]
As brake drums are off --> i'm gonna make a driver side AND passenger side mini-video of how the drum brake (DUO-SERVO) adjustment gears spin.

- pretty sure the adjustment gears go in different directions.
- plus i've been reminded of the brake job i did 2 years back and how using TWO screwdrivers one can push the auto-adjusting-bar AWAY from the gear which makes it way easier to spin.

THE BIGGIE (if i have the 'different directions bit' right) is to know which side (passenger or driver) spins in which direction.

that's why I'm gonna make a couple of min-vids WHILE the drums are off - a mock-up of doing the adjusting with two screw drivers though totally visible
as the drums are off.

NORMALLY: The actual adjustment is of course done through the little slot on the back there. (DUEO-SERVO, though maybe other's are similar)

Went long, with all the above, in case someone might not have gone through it all.

NOTE: I MAY BE WRONG ABOUT THE driver/passenger adjustment gears spinning in different/opposite directions for desired result.

BIG THANKS (to ALL) AS ALWAYS - Grrrreat to be here!

gonna hafta take a pix and get it up on the left column.

Last edited:

chevius

Reaction score
-- SUPER INTERESTING THAT --

going out to put drums on after taking little videos shortly.

1) don't think i'd be taking those adjuster off anytime soon. i recall real hard to gett'em in place. could be mistaken however - AND/OR may be easier now that all brake parts have been running for a few season and have settled. dunno.

2) I'm now gonna wonder if I have 'em backwards and if that's ok and simply unlucky-dumb.

Just filling in the puzzle questions with the above - don't think i'll be swapping them if i do find marking -

3) don't recall markings - maybe, just maybe mine don't have. Bet they do though*-)

ALL VERY COOL - thanks!
I'll be back in a handful of hours i bet.

chevius

Reaction score
A couple of days ago - got it back together - have yet to drive around yard. That's why the delay writing here. Figured I'd have done by now.

[ADJUSTMENT GEAR/BOLT]
Turns out even though there's some reversal of parts between driver's side and passenger side the adjustment gears go the same way to increase or decrease regardless of side.

not my best that, though crazed Thursday here!

I'll write better after test drive on a couple of finer points to wrap it up.
Still have parking brake pedal stuck on the floor, all the way depressed.

front cable disconnected from rear cable(s)
Guessing I'll be removing the parking brake pedal. Or, at least getting way in there past the black heater plastic and all