Thump thump, G80 and confusing gear oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Balance weight. Almost certainly "factory".

A semi-float has no adjustment for the bearings out by the wheels. If they're loose...you may need bearings, you may need axle shafts, but you likely need both. You'd have to pull it apart for inspection.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found some info about adding weights to drums, is that a sign of a mistake? The side im having problems with is where this drum with the weight was, not saying that it contributes to the problem. If it were you would you replace drums? Im also thinking the wheel bearing play could be a factor in my problem. Also, considering the gov-loc situation, I dont know if I was testing it correctly either by stomping the pedal in grass or on stands...maybe I wasnt doing something right. btw, seals not leaking

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found some info about adding weights to drums, is that a sign of a mistake?
I can imagine someone throwing a drum onto a wheel-balance machine, finding the out-of-balance amount and location, and then welding a tab to the drum as a correction.

I've never seen this actually done, but I suppose it has been. No reason not to, brand new drums often have weights welded to them for balance. Or--they've ground-away iron to lighten the heavy side. I've seen both ways.

Mistake? I wouldn't think so. I guess there could be poor workmanship where the weight wasn't welded adequately, or welded in the wrong spot, or not the proper amount of weight. But the concept is solid.

The side im having problems with is where this drum with the weight was, not saying that it contributes to the problem.
I think it's totally unrelated.

If it were you would you replace drums?
Only if I could show a fault in the existing drum--worn beyond limits, for example. Cracked/bent/deformed.

A balance weight would not be sufficient cause for replacement.

Im also thinking the wheel bearing play could be a factor in my problem.
Possible, I guess.

I still don't see how the vehicle binding-up going forward, but OK in reverse is a rear-axle issue when the drums don't get hot. But I'm prepared to learn something.

Also, considering the gov-loc situation, I dont know if I was testing it correctly either by stomping the pedal in grass or on stands...maybe I wasnt doing something right.
Any wheel-speed differences at less than ~25 mph should lock the differential. If torque is maintained, they'll stay locked beyond 25 mph. When torque is released, the differential unlocks and cannot lock again until vehicle speed falls below the governed limit of approx. 25 mph.

btw, seals not leaking
I posted that photo to show what the bearing surface of the axle looks like. Sometimes they get scored, a groove cut all the way around by a defective bearing. Other times the seal wears a narrow groove where the seal lip rides. Those semi-float axles are a wear-item.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, considering the gov-loc situation, I dont know if I was testing it correctly either by stomping the pedal in grass or on stands...maybe I wasnt doing something right. btw, seals not leaking
Easing into the throttle should be enough. All that is needed is sufficient torque at one wheel to cause it to spin and observe if the G80 locks. By being gentle you wont exceed the speed at which the G80 allows locking.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still don't see how the vehicle binding-up going forward, but OK in reverse is a rear-axle issue when the drums don't get hot. But I'm prepared to learn something.
Play in the bearing allowing the drum to move forwards under drive conditions and contact rear shoe but not prolonged enough to heat the drum? Forward shoe with a bit more clearance to drum not making contact while reversing?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP , First a g80 quits working right....... then they grenade, need to decide if you're going to fix it before or after. Between sloppy bearings, crosspins etc just sounds like it's beyond it's service limit. There's no majic answer.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 8.5" and smaller Gov-Bombs have a bad reputation.

The 9.5" and larger Gov-Locks hold up fine (no catastrophic failures, but the clutches can wear out.)

This is a 9.5".