Thump thump, G80 and confusing gear oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after cleaning her up, painting the cover, gasket with ultra black, and filling with oil, went for a small test drive...yippee...so far, so good, no thumping sounds. I just got it tagged and insured, so now for the big test drive. Thanks to everyone's help.

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Success! went on big test drive, no thump. Differentials work better with oil in them. I have a bit of brake pulsating/slight grabbing at times seemingly from the rear which will be another project along with a good grease job and probably a transmission fluid change, but Im psyched that I have no bad rear end or drive shaft problems.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Normally the slime comes from two oils that are not compatible. In the early years of synthetic some brands were not compatible with Dino oil. The additive packages would separate and form slimes. They have corrected the compatibility issues.

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I celebrated too soon, back to the drawing board. I drove the truck around 15 miles, no issues except for pulsating braking....then it started to feel like a brake was grabbing. It felt like I was dragging a tree, with some noise something bogging it down. The problem is in the rear drivers side. I jack it up, expecting to have a problem pulling the drum, but it easily comes off. When the resistance happens, I notice that it has no resistance when I move it in reverse. When I go forward, back to a major resistance. If it were a brake situation, seems like reverse wouldnt be any better. I also notice that when on jack stands, the passenger side rear wheel turns, but never the drivers side, not matter how fast i hit the gas. I dont understand exactly what the locker does, or how to engage it. Now, after manually turning the wheels back and forth, it is ok.

Last edited:

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah ew.
Are the brakes soaked with axle lube? Gear oil makes drum brakes very grabby. The dragging/freeing with direction change, if not brakes, sounds like a bearing coming apart. Low lube over time wears the cages and lets the bearings get wonky. Sadess.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it started to feel like a brake was grabbing. It felt like I was dragging a tree, with some noise something bogging it down. The problem is in the rear drivers side. I jack it up, expecting to have a problem pulling the drum, but it easily comes off.
Was the drum hot? Did you compare temperature to the other side?

A brake doesn't drag without getting hot. If the drum isn't hot after you feel the dragging, it's not the brakes--it's something very weird.

When the resistance happens, I notice that it has no resistance when I move it in reverse. When I go forward, back to a major resistance. If it were a brake situation, seems like reverse wouldnt be any better.
Duo-Servo brakes are designed and intended to work better going forward, than in reverse. This is also true of the park-brake.

Do the shoes touch the anchor-pin at the top of the backing plate, or are they held away from the anchor-pin? Usually, if the shoes aren't touching the anchor pin, it's due to misadjusted park brake. How old are the brake return springs?

I also notice that when on jack stands, the passenger side rear wheel turns, but never the drivers side, not matter how fast i hit the gas. I dont understand exactly what the locker does, or how to engage it. Now, after manually turning the wheels back and forth, it is ok.
I'd expect the Gov-Lock to engage if one wheel turns ~100 rpm faster than the other. Maybe your clutches are as worn-out as mine. (Or worse.)

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
brakes dry, cleaned the dust, looks like they were changed a few miles back...best I can tell, look good. I did notice that they are the bonded brakes, but im beginning to think it is not the brakes

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you talk about drag forward vs. no drag backward--is that you spinning the drum by hand, or is that driving the vehicle, shifting between forward gear and reverse gear?

Is there a chance that this is a transmission problem, where the trans binds-up and doesn't transmit power properly?