Confused

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

72 scorpio

Reaction score
As I said in my other post, I have a truck we are building from the ground up”so to speak” I have been having issues with my brakes. I’m not losing fluid but If I turn sharp then brake pedal doesn’t react property. Wants to go to floor. If I attempt a hard acceleration then hit my brakes they act like the abs shudder but go to the floor. I actually came to a stop once and I could hear a whirring sound coming from engine bay around the brake booster area. Again it’s a 98 sierra 5.7
Thanks in advance.
When driving normal no issues

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I turn sharp then brake pedal doesn’t react property. Wants to go to floor. If I attempt a hard acceleration then hit my brakes they act like the abs shudder but go to the floor. I actually came to a stop once and I could hear a whirring sound coming from engine bay around the brake booster area.

98 sierra 5.7
2WD?
I'd be checking the front wheel bearings. Probably loose, maybe defective, almost certainly needing to be re-packed.

If this is a 4WD, the front wheel bearings could still be loose, but then it's a matter of replacing the hub(s), since there's no adjustment and no repacking.

Either way, loose wheel bearings can knock the piston back into the caliper, making for a low brake pedal on the next brake application. Generally worse around corners.

Low fluid level in reservoir?

Pull the wheels, inspect the brakes at all four corners including verifying that the pistons in the calipers aren't stiff/seized; there's no fluid seepage at the rear, the rear brakes are properly adjusted AND IF THIS VEHICLE HAS THE HORRIBLE 254mm LEADING-TRAILING SHOE DRUMS, THE PARK BRAKE WORKS and you use it frequently. Fix any leaks/seepage, and bleed the ABS with a scan tool (instructions attached) so that you have fresh, clean brake fluid at all four corners and in the reservoir.

A defective ABS could cause a low brake pedal, but it wouldn't be worse after cornering. Doesn't match your stated symptoms.

Attachments

• 1990s_GM_Light_Truck_Kelsey_Hayes_ABS_Brake_Bleeding_Procedure_Ref_Cards.pdf
    130.2 KB · Views: 0