Odd brake pedal behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcdatadude

Reaction score
I have a 1998 k1500 that I recently replaced the brake booster and the master cylinder. I ended up taking it to a dealer to have the brakes and ABS bled. My son is driving the truck, and he’s mentioned a couple of times that the brake pedal will stick and return to normal position in about 30 seconds. I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue and he is saying it doesn’t happen all the time. I’m using a Cardone brake booster that’s a direct replacement for an AC Delco unit. The master cylinder is an AC Delco part. Any ideas on what would cause this to happen intermittently?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1998 k1500 that I recently replaced the brake booster and the master cylinder. I ended up taking it to a dealer to have the brakes and ABS bled. My son is driving the truck, and he’s mentioned a couple of times that the brake pedal will stick and return to normal position in about 30 seconds. I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue and he is saying it doesn’t happen all the time. I’m using a Cardone brake booster that’s a direct replacement for an AC Delco unit. The master cylinder is an AC Delco part. Any ideas on what would cause this to happen intermittently?
Cardone usually equates to mixed feedback, it doesn't matter if a booster or p/s pump, steering box, etc, and I have had bad boosters from them before.

rcdatadude

Reaction score
Adding some additional details…. I was able to reproduce the issue by pressing hard on the brake. It does stick in place. You can’t raise the pedal with your foot or your hand. Brakes stay engaged for about 10 seconds and then the pedal returns to normal position. It doesn’t happen with regular braking. It’s only only when you press hard.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Booster or master cylinder hanging, the fun part (not really) will be figuring out which one without buying both. Can't raise pedal by hand sounds like booster to me, since the pedal is physically connected to it. Master cylinder isn't connected to the booster, just actuated by the booster pushrod.

The Cardone name puts stink on the booster. I'd have gone with GM if it was available, but it doesn't look like it is. :( From Rock, your new choices being SKP and Cardone.. I guess your option is to try swapping it out for another Cardone and hope you get a good one.

I'm a little confused how the SKP can just be for JB5 brakes and the Cardone listed is for JB5 and JB6..

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JB5 or 6 left, JN3 right. There may be differences between JB5 and JB6 depending on the vehicle--but if there is, I don't know about it.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
JB5 or 6 left, JN3 right. There may be differences between JB5 and JB6 depending on the vehicle--but if there is, I don't know about it.

You must be registered for see images attach
Weird that the application notes would show the SKP for JB5 only. Not the first time we've seen erroneous or confusing/conflicting info in those notes though!

Richard

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Curious if there has been any resolution to this? I am getting similar symptoms but only when it is around 20F or less ambient temperature outside. Basically the pedal will sometimes stick or give a feeling that the pedal is being sucked towards the floor. I can pull the padal back up with my foot in those cases but it can be a bit surprising when it happens.