Okay so maybe y'all can help me I bought a 2500 rear end put in a k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelby Mossman

Reaction score
Can y'all help me I'm new to this form this ain't my first rodeo having a OBS truck however it is my first rodeo putting a 2500 rear end in a k1500 can anybody tell me what all needs to be done if anything other than having universal wheels to fit on that rear end and what all is involved other than just taking it apart and putting the other rear end in there if anybody could tell me what all is involved other than am I going to have to use the same parts cuz it's just got the rear end I have the shocks and everything else and I'm probably going to get the brake lines I do need some help if anybody could tell me and comment on this if it was just as simple as lining up and taking all the parts off that are good on the other rear end the gear ratio is 3.73 on both rear ends and free floating gears

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can y'all help me I'm new to this form this ain't my first rodeo having a OBS truck however it is my first rodeo putting a 2500 rear end in a k1500 can anybody tell me what all needs to be done if anything other than having universal wheels to fit on that rear end and what all is involved other than just taking it apart and putting the other rear end in there if anybody could tell me what all is involved other than am I going to have to use the same parts cuz it's just got the rear end I have the shocks and everything else and I'm probably going to get the brake lines I do need some help if anybody could tell me and comment on this if it was just as simple as lining up and taking all the parts off that are good on the other rear end the gear ratio is 3.73 on both rear ends and free floating gears
Is it 14b 9.5 from a light duty 88-98 2500 ?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Its was difficult for me to write that post in Camans thread, I had to purposely go back and delete things my fingers just did. How does this happen?

Sorry OP, just really bad timing.

Are they both 6-lug axles? Measure the u-joint on the driveshaft and the pinion with a caliper, you'll probably need a conversion u-joint at the minimum.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I converted my K1500 driveshaft for use with a 14bolt 6 lug rear axle and I used a Spicer 5-648X U Joint Kit to do it. It's Spicer 1330 on one axis and Spicer 1350 on the other.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're laughing because new members posting a rambling run-on sentence is a trend. Please, organize your thoughts, use punctuation, and proofread before you hit that "Post reply" button.

universal wheels
If you go from a 6-lug 10-bolt to a 6-lug 14-bolt, you don't need adapters or a "universal wheel".

It sounds like you're on the right track, taking care to match the ring & pinion ratio, and Komet has given you a way forward on the driveshaft.

There's a certain amount of "you're just gonna have to dive in" to this job.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good luck, sounds like what I'm thinking of doing to my tahoe. I might have a lead on a set of diffs out of a 2500 sub, 4.10 gears.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I might have a lead on a set of diffs out of a 2500 sub, 4.10 gears.
I think you may have a problem there 2500 suburbans are all 8 lug I think. the front diff will not fit I have seen some threads on putting in the bigger ifs diff but at least half of them are not finished and very few pics. I did see one that was complete

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I think you may have a problem there 2500 suburbans are all 8 lug I think. the front diff will not fit I have seen some threads on putting in the bigger ifs diff but at least half of them are not finished and very few pics. I did see one that was complete
Could you find a link to the complete one?

I have yet to see it successfully completed and that would be a great reference for future questions