9.5 rear end question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
No that would be a solid drive axle, both wheels spinning together at same speed.

Andddd I’m sure I don’t have that.. so what test can I do to check to see what I have. I get conflicting info from everywhere I turn.. even national diff which scare me to be blunt… I’m thinking it’s an open diff, if so, so be it. I just wanna know one thing: additive or no additive, but I guess from a previous reply, no additive at all either way.. what weight oil do I use?

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

A lot of wiring I eliminated; not cut just loomed up and tucked away since I don’t use the computer in that car..

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so what test can I do to check to see what I have.
Pull the cover, look for yourself?

what weight oil do I use?
GM used 80W-90 gear lube until they switched to the synthetic 75W-90.

GM had a bulletin on this. (Attached.) Axles made before a certain break-point needed to be updated before being used with synthetic gear lube.

The "official" GM fix was to replace the silicone sealer with actual paper/fiber gaskets. On some axles, that also required a new rear cover.

Attachments

• GM_Rear_Axle_Gear_Lube_RTV.pdf
    57.9 KB · Views: 6