9.5 rear end question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
I just got a rebuilt rear end from National Diff. It’s the 9.5 rear with 3.73s.

I’m gonna swap it into my new truck pretty soon and I’m wondering how to tell if it’s a locker or open. When I spin the yoke, by hand, both hubs spin. When I spin a hub by hand, the other goes in the same direction. Now, if I hold one hub steady and spin the yoke the other hub spin counter-clockwise.

Any ideas? I don’t wanna rip the cover off because it’s all so fresh. I just wanna know if I need additive.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a rebuilt rear end from National Diff. It’s the 9.5 rear with 3.73s.

I’m gonna swap it into my new truck pretty soon and I’m wondering how to tell if it’s a locker or open. When I spin the yoke, by hand, both hubs spin. When I spin a hub by hand, the other goes in the same direction. Now, if I hold one hub steady and spin the yoke the other hub spin counter-clockwise.

Any ideas? I don’t wanna rip the cover off because it’s all so fresh. I just wanna know if I need additive.
Contact National Diff and ask them. That's the only way to know for sure.

If you hold one hub steady, spin the yoke, and the other hub spins, either it's an open diff, or it's a Gov-Lock that isn't being turned fast enough to engage. Either way, NO ADDITIVE in with the gear lube.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
Uh.. what did you order? You did pay , money for a part but you don't know what you ordered?
Did you get a hub to hub axle or just a third member differential?

lol i wrote my original message in a hurry and life again is truly screwing with my brain.. surely you understand..

I know exactly what I ordered. I’m just trying to see what I got is correct. I did call national diff and then said it’s and open diff. But everything I read online says that if you spin one hub and the other spins in the same direction it’s a locker or a “posi”. But I know these trucks didn’t come with posi, only open or an Eaton gov bomb.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No that would be a solid drive axle, both wheels spinning together at same speed.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
You’ll be forgiven once you post photos.
It’s pretty boring right now. It’s just the entire rear end on jack stands. I’ll certainly post some pics of the progress if me running brake lines, and putting the drums together and all that though. :)

My current 93 has 3.42s so I’m doing a 3.73 swap front and rear! Big job. Not only do I need to do the mechanical side of thrings but I need to attack this from the electronic side as well.. I need a new DRAC calibrated for my new configuration.. I’m thinking g if getting one that has DIP switches so I can configure it myself. The 350 in my old truck is coming out it’s brand new and going to replace the tired 305 in this truck. I already put a core shifters short throw unit in this thing!! lol so I can’t wait for spring and summer. My winter project was getting my Monte Carlo motor back together when one of the lifers failed.. no it didn’t wipe a lobe; the c clip holding the plunger down broke in half and got picked up by my magnetic drain plug!! Got the motor all back together and the friggin intake cracked on the water jacket. So that was in very early October. So then I said f it and decided to rip the whole motor down and fix all of the previous builders scimps with cork gaskets thing was a leaking pig. New oil pan gasket with the motor in the car was a bear of a job!! 8 quart pan too I almost thought it wasn’t possible! The I decided to attack the slipped balancer the timing in that car was never ever right because the balancer (dampener, yes I know, I’m not changing 28 years of speech patterns to make people happy, sorry).. slipped and was gonna continue to do so.. so I got a new balancer, timing cover, adjustable timing pointer and dialed that ole girl in but good… and a nice DUI HEI dizzy as well. Anddddd a new high rise intake from Edelbrock (spelling??) as well. Topped with my fav Qjet (people love to hate them because they don’t understand them!!!!!). I just need to do the break in since all the lifers were replaced with better ones with real C clips and not some wire looking crap. I show yas some pics in a diff post. Cleaned up a lot of wiring as well!

FrankieD61

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

FrankieD61

Reaction score

FrankieD61

Reaction score