How to - Install -AN oil cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This fitting is for what type of hose fellas? Also any suggestions of the good hose? This is 10AN btw. Thanks for input.

Attachments

• IMG_20220317_030611.jpg
    IMG_20220317_030611.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 11

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my experience you can use that fitting with either nylon or steel braided hose. The vendors like to say that you have to use their specific hose with their fittings, but having built plenty of hoses for Air Force equipment, we never knew who the vendor of the week was and we never had a problem with mix-and-match. Buy some decent quality -10 AN hose and you're good.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my experience you can use that fitting with either nylon or steel braided hose. The vendors like to say that you have to use their specific hose with their fittings, but having built plenty of hoses for Air Force equipment, we never knew who the vendor of the week was and we never had a problem with mix-and-match. Buy some decent quality -10 AN hose and you're good.
Define "nylon [and] steel braided hose".

That fitting is entirely NOT suitable for Steel braid over Teflon- (PTFE-) liner hose such as Aeroquip 2807 or 2808. Looks similar to the fittings I used on rubber-liner hose (Aeroquip FC300 and FC350). I quit using rubber-liner hose; I switched over to PTFE-liner years ago. (Aeroquip TFE, which as best I can tell is the same as 2807 but marketed to hot-rodders instead of industrial accounts.) Costs more, lasts longer, isn't porous, weighs less, smaller OD. Sensitive to bend radius, though. And, of course, use as little as practical with metal tubing making the bulk of the plumbing job.

The wall-thickness and ID of the hose will be important. Getting hose and fittings from different vendors isn't a problem when all the manufacturers are supplying hose and fittings guaranteed to meet the same military specification. Mixing-and-matching of hose and hose-ends can be done in the civilian world...but make sure you put some emphasis on the "matching" part.

Last edited:

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anhosefittings.com by Raceflux is my goto place for my -AN. They have juat about every type of fitting you could imagine so maybe they might have the adaptors of fitting you're looking for. Plus, make an order of $150 or more and receive 30% off you entire order..... thats a drop in the bucket when talking
-AN Fittings and hose!!!!!

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right on, I didn't know bro! They've juat treated me well and the fittings are really nice. Anyways, good luck with the project!!
Thank you-I do tend to take a lots from the US but this time it wasn't necessary. I managed to find nice quality mishimoto fittings here-friend made those bits I posted few days back so I'm looking forward to that.

H2C2Dutch

Reaction score
I'm a little confused on how the fittings on the factory hard line that go into the oil filter adapter are secured onto the hard lines. My understanding is that there are 2 separate fittings per line. 1 is a straight 1/2" compression to -8 AN female and the other 1 is a straight male -8AN to 3/8" NPT male. My intention is simply to eliminate the quick connect fittings. I am not planning to use any braided hoses at this time. I already got new AC Delco oil cooler hoses/lines. I have not been able to find a clear answer on how the 1st fitting secures onto the hard line. I believe you can use either compression or flare fittings correct? Which is more secure? Also, what material are the OEM hard lines? I assume steel . . . ? If so, isn't there an issue using aluminum fittings on steel? Corrosion issues? Leaking? Or will an compression fittings actually bite into the steel line properly? I apologize in advance for all the questions. I haven't been able to find a clear answer on these in my online research.

H2C2Dutch

Reaction score
I'm a little confused on how the fittings on the factory hard line that go into the oil filter adapter are secured onto the hard lines. My understanding is that there are 2 separate fittings per line. 1 is a straight 1/2" compression to -8 AN female and the other 1 is a straight male -8AN to 3/8" NPT male. My intention is simply to eliminate the quick connect fittings. I am not planning to use any braided hoses at this time. I already got new AC Delco oil cooler hoses/lines. I have not been able to find a clear answer on how the 1st fitting secures onto the hard line. I believe you can use either compression or flare fittings correct? Which is more secure? Also, what material are the OEM hard lines? I assume steel . . . ? If so, isn't there an issue using aluminum fittings on steel? Corrosion issues? Leaking? Or will an compression fittings actually bite into the steel line properly? I apologize in advance for all the questions. I haven't been able to find a clear answer on these in my online research.
Well, it seems that the hard lines are aluminum, not steel? According to RockAuto. So maybe aluminum fittings are ok, if that's the case.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Far as I know, the Genuine GM oil cooler plumbing was rubber hose crimped-onto steel tubing. Aftermarket oil cooler plumbing (Dorman) is rubber hose crimped onto aluminum tubing.

With some notable exceptions, double-flare connections are far superior to compression fittings. This is why OEM brake, trans cooler, and fuel plumbing was done with double-flare connections (DOT regulated) rather than compression connections. Times have changed since then, there's a variety of tubing styles (including plastic tubing) and connector styles now. But ordinary brass compression fittings are still not used.

(I did use stainless-steel Swagelok compression fittings on thickwall stainless tubing on City Bus Compressed Natural Gas fuel supplies. But Swagelok is in a whole 'nother world as far as compression fittings.)