Fuel pump access panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Access hole in a pickup bed is goofy, but probably not unsafe.

Access hole into a Suburban or Tahoe or other passenger compartment is bat-shiit crazy. Very few people enjoy rolling the vehicle and then burning to death from the fuel entry due to a ruptured fuel tank.

Some vehicles have it from the factory.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some vehicles have it from the factory.
Yes. I expect you'll find them properly-engineered, reinforced, and SEALED. Not jig-sawed and patched-over with RTV silicone and sheet-metal screws.

If the vehicle gets hit, the access hole and cover in the passenger compartment needs to be sturdy enough to not distort and leak even if the body gets crumpled.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. I expect you'll find them properly-engineered, reinforced, and SEALED. Not jig-sawed and patched-over with RTV silicone and sheet-metal screws.

If the vehicle gets hit, the access hole and cover in the passenger compartment needs to be sturdy enough to not distort and leak even if the body gets crumpled.
Beat me to it.

Hey; I can access my 300's fuel pump/senders by popping the rear seat bottom out of its retainers. I'm pretty sure Mopar engineers got that design right though and it only exists because it went through extensive crash testing before it was deemed safe.

Ya know what's not safe though, when "techs" (including dealership) work on it and break the plastic hat on the pump bucket, and put it all back together, leaking fuel vapors into the passenger compartment. Another great example of why to do your own work whenever possible. Didn't happen to me but has happened to quite a few people that got the warranty replacement tank on their V8 Mopars and the warranty job only provides the tank; the "techs" swap over your other parts.

Richard