Fuel pump access panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onetongwa

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again... thanks for posting this, shelty.67. I feel anyone can drop tank or pull bed if they want.... but when you factor in roadside situations or heavy tonneau covers and lowered trucks, it can be a semi-stressful situation. I see myself doing this mod. That way, if there is stuff in the bed, I can simply move items out the way and get to work. I think GM should make this idea standard. New ideas happen everyday. And it would be a industry first, i think. Sounds good!!! patent bed with fuel door. Kool!!! I need to call my agent!!! I love do-it-yourselfers!!!!!

Last edited:

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
gm will never make a fuel door access panel.... its not there idea that THERE PUMPS WILL GO OUT.LOL
just fix it right! quality parts! its like doing a patch panel on a old car... sure you could cut out the rust and slap in some tins and rivet them inplace and slap a bunch of tar over it.... or you could do it right the first time and be proud of your work!
id never be proud of a freakin hole the size of a basketball in my truck! BUT anyways to each there own.... its your truck if it doesnt matter to you then cut away... just say a prayer before ya cut and hope not to go BOOM!

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I could see my self doing this mod but in a different way. It would be a combination of dropping the tank to do the actual fuel pump replacement and cutting the bed while the tank is out...either that or pulling the bed and cutting the hole while the bed is off.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
best way to do this is to cut the panel on three sides. put weather stripping on the 3 edges, and then weld on a little tab on the opposing side of the uncut portion and put a screw or a bolt on the tab that way it would be better and plug if you got a toolbox you will never see it.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Thats a good idea. You could also secure the back side with a hinge setup, using the cut piece as the lid. I would think not cuttin the back side might make it difficult to open considerin the ribs in the steel.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good idea and work I was thinking if I ever get my bed lined that's when it would a good time to get it done or cruise by your house before I get it lined since you BUDDY already know how to do it. LOL

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Yep, I WILL be doing this later this week when I get back in town, my fuel pump is acting up again, I know its on borrowed time.