Fuel pump access panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
for a bed id just remove the bed. i probably spent more time getting my trailer hitch off the truck to pull bed off. if you worried about snapping bolts well you can easily cut out a broken bolt and just weld a new one to the bottom of the bed and then use a washer and nut to bolt bed back inplace.
tho if i had a suburban or tahoe then yes i would probably also cut a hole BUT just be sure to put a cap plate on it with some sealer. gas fumes on a hot day... NO GOOD.

eventually this summer i need to pull my bed off again and this time chance the fuel level sending unit.

gti52

Reaction score
Great idea! My pump just went out, guess I will be cutting a hole in the bed tomorrow.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
ive had to access my tank 4 or 5 times now and i just think its worth it to just drop the tank, i replaced my sending unit in my tank about a month ago and it took me about an hour to drop the tank, replaced the sending unit and put it back on, has anyone tried removing the bed to get to the pump? someone told me it was the easiest way but i cant imagine it being that easy so i dont want to try

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
ive had to access my tank 4 or 5 times now and i just think its worth it to just drop the tank, i replaced my sending unit in my tank about a month ago and it took me about an hour to drop the tank, replaced the sending unit and put it back on, has anyone tried removing the bed to get to the pump? someone told me it was the easiest way but i cant imagine it being that easy so i dont want to try

The bed bolts to the frame with 8 bolts, 4 per side and then just undo the gas filler end and pull the bed off (or do it like Jake aka LoudandLifted88 and rest the bed on your tires and bumper)...pretty straightforward

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i think ill just stick to dropping the tank, i had a piece of **** autozone fuel pump go out on me in the middle of the road and had to replace it in a gas station parking lot over night, that was hell

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
i think ill just stick to dropping the tank, i had a piece of **** autozone fuel pump go out on me in the middle of the road and had to replace it in a gas station parking lot over night, that was hell

That sucks...I think mine's starting to go out. I have to turn the key on and wait a couple seconds to start it or else it will have to crank for a few seconds until it starts

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i wouldnt go buy one until you check a few things, i have a digit fuel pressure gauge in my triple gauge pillar so i can always keep my eye on how my pump is acting, but if you do get another, get the one i just bought, it will last you forever, i got a walbro 255, it can support as much fuel as you need

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
All who are considering this. I did it cause the gm pumps and senders are notorious fer givin trouble. As has been stated, some guys are havin to access their tanks several times to repair the units. With this mod, my total repair time is 10-15 min. And if my pump craters out in the boonies or on the road? Do the math. For those of you who prefer a better looking setup, Fabin a flush fit cover with a rubber strip is very easy.

Hope this helps. Thx.

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for posting this! i see myself doing this sometime in the near future