Engine hydro locking from fuel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done some dumb stuff in the garage while sipping on wobble-pops but that one takes the cake!
No wobble-pops involved. I'd had the carburetor off for a couple weeks and went to put the carburetor on the intake. I'm tall, but the reach to the carb pad on a '69 Cadillac is about a mile away, and I couldn't see the four rags in the dual plane intake runners. I completely forgot about them. It fired off on four cylinders, running rough, then chewed two of the socks and got up to six cylinders. The last two socks got wrapped on the intake valves. I had to pull the intake manifold back off. I got one out, but the other was stuck good. I fired it up on seven cylinders and after about five minutes it cleared up and spat charred sock material out the tail pipe. That was about twenty years ago.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was stolen relating to fuel injection? Was there any electrical damage done during this?
Which cylinders were filled with fuel after you tried starting it?
Does sound like you have a large injector leak not allowing the fuel system to build pressure. Could be mechanically stuck or maybe something electrical is shorted...

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you. Yeah I knew it could bend it and that’s why I stopped. I have everything for the oil change. I’m a short fat kid hardly any tools and was hoping to not have to pull the upper intake lol.
I believe FPR can leak internally or externally. If they leak externally, the fuel goes into the vacuum tube (for vacuum systems). Unhooking the little vacuum hose easily confirms this leak, except in the spider injector setup the FPR is under the that intake plenum. I can't remember at the moment if the FPR has that little hose. I did my 5.7 spider injectors about 2 years ago, but didn't take any photos. In any case, the leak still finds it way into the intake.

If it leaks internally, the fuel goes back into the return fuel line. A way to check this is to "pinch" the return line and see if the fuel pressure holds. This only works on soft fuel lines. The fuel lines near the engine are all hard lines, so this is not as easy.

The nearest fuel lines that are flexible are the ones on the driver's side near the transmission. It's where the lines "jump" from the frame rail and run up the bellhousing to the firewall.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe FPR can leak internally or externally. If they leak externally, the fuel goes into the vacuum tube (for vacuum systems). Unhooking the little vacuum hose easily confirms this leak, except in the spider injector setup the FPR is under the that intake plenum. I can't remember at the moment if the FPR has that little hose. I did my 5.7 spider injectors about 2 years ago, but didn't take any photos. In any case, the leak still finds it way into the intake.
FPR leaking externally sounds like the most obvious culprit given all cylinders are affected.
See pic below - leaking out of the signal pipe (no hose) would flood the manifold.
OP. Nothing to fear removing the manifold upper and waiting a while to re-assemble. Just cover it all with something to keep dirt out. You can probably just pop the upper back on if the seal doesn't resist too much.

You must be registered for see images attach

BkY32

Reaction score
What was stolen relating to fuel injection? Was there any electrical damage done during this?
Which cylinders were filled with fuel after you tried starting it?
Does sound like you have a large injector leak not allowing the fuel system to build pressure. Could be mechanically stuck or maybe something electrical is shorted...
It’s a good chance my father took my computer, and took my mpfi conversion cause that’s the one I’m supposed to have his bad the regular csfi cause they took my distributor cap and rotor. Had the top radiator hose off all kinds of stuff was unhooked as if he took the top intake off basically and there was a new have used tubes of gasket maker. So I’ll know when I take the intake off and see gasket maker.

BkY32

Reaction score
FPR leaking externally sounds like the most obvious culprit given all cylinders are affected.
See pic below - leaking out of the signal pipe (no hose) would flood the manifold.
OP. Nothing to fear removing the manifold upper and waiting a while to re-assemble. Just cover it all with something to keep dirt out. You can probably just pop the upper back on if the seal doesn't resist too much.

You must be registered for see images attach
I looked around best ass I could and it doesn’t appear to be leaking to where I could see. Very good chance tho they swapped my computer or the injection itself cause Ik his was messed up. I’m currently waiting for rain to go away so I can get to taking it apart. Btw do you know if I have to take the distributor cap off to take the upper intake off ?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No wobble-pops involved. I'd had the carburetor off for a couple weeks and went to put the carburetor on the intake. I'm tall, but the reach to the carb pad on a '69 Cadillac is about a mile away, and I couldn't see the four rags in the dual plane intake runners. I completely forgot about them. It fired off on four cylinders, running rough, then chewed two of the socks and got up to six cylinders. The last two socks got wrapped on the intake valves. I had to pull the intake manifold back off. I got one out, but the other was stuck good. I fired it up on seven cylinders and after about five minutes it cleared up and spat charred sock material out the tail pipe. That was about twenty years ago.

Years ago in Okinawa I was putting a drivetrain into my car without a cherry picker. First I hung the short block on its mount, then the trans went in and the 2 were properly supported by the mounts. I got the head on, the cams in/lash set, and a typhoon decided to roll in so I stuffed the intake and exhaust ports with rags. After the typhoon left, I removed all but 1 rag, finished assembling the motor, and fired it up. Granted I started the thing on a standalone with no tune, had to build that as I went. I figured the tune sucked, it was gutless and sounded like a Subaru. But it had a dead hole. ZERO compression, ambient EGT, and a fuel injector that was firing. I felt pretty dumb when I found it, it never got sucked in because of the divider in the intake port for the 2 valves.

BkY32

Reaction score
It’s a good chance my father took my computer, and took my mpfi conversion cause that’s the one I’m supposed to have his bad the regular csfi cause they took my distributor cap and rotor. Had the top radiator hose off all kinds of stuff was unhooked as if he took the top intake off basically and there was a new have used tubes of gasket maker. So I’ll know when I take the intake off and see gasket maker.
To be honest I might sound dumb or incorrect idk cause these names for the different fuel injection confuses the heck out of me. But I looked up the vin and I’m supposed to have mpfi is what it says but there’s no fuel rail and I thousand guy mpfi was the fuel rail system.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If a vortec should be sequential fuel injection system. But the fuel injectors was a spider injection system. Theyve upgraded the style to a multiport fuel injection style . But both have a body in the middle and legs attaching to a fuel injector. Hints the name spider injection system. Its recommended to upgrade to the mpfi instead of purchasing sfi (oem)