Tbi fuel pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Yeah, you can get a test setup that goes at the fuel pump or, the fittings and gauge to go right behind the TB. You can also add a VFPR so you can dial it in.

Here's mine with an EP381 Vortec pump with a 28 LB spring.
Yeah I've seen the adapter that can be placed between the inlet and tbi. But I'm not going through the effort of installing a vfpr and spring since I'll converting soon.
As far as a carb goes, I wouldn't bother installing a toilet bowl when I already have an electronically regulated one :rolleyes:
Say what you want, but a carb would fit the character of this truck better. And more to the point, I'm tired of all the efi crap on this truck.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say what you want, but a carb would fit the character of this truck better. And more to the point, I'm tired of all the efi crap on this truck.
Now that WBO2 sensors and controllers have gotten inexpensive you could get a Q-jet or Edelbock dialed in pretty close. Don't think for an instant that you can pull a carb out of the box,bolt it on and it's gonna perform. Edelbrock sells a strip kit with jets and needles to dial in their carbs to your application and there are places to get tuning parts for the Q-jet. The biggest problem with carbs is ethanol fuel and it's lower boiling point. More tendency to vapor lock and boil over after shut down. The Q-jet on my 355 boils after shutdown so I have to do a clear flood every time I fire it back up. It's sitting on an airgap manifold with two 1/4" insulator gaskets under it. Running it with an electric pump and regulator that bleeds the pressure off after shutdown may help and I would strongly suggest it. If you decide to go with a carb you will have to install a vacuum switch to control the TCC.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edelbrock sells a strip kit with jets and needles to dial in their carbs to your application
The kit is skimpy at best. I bought that kit several years ago for the 750 Edelbrock on my Cadillac motor. I had to jump straight to the largest jets in the kit, and it didn't have enough for all four corners. On the plus side, Edelbrocks tolerate poor tuning than most carburetors.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the plus side, Edelbrocks tolerate poor tuning than most carburetors.
How does the carb tolerate poor tuning,it's the engine that has to tolerate it.
I've never ran Edelbrock's mainly because I have about 2lbs of jets,needles etc. for Q-jets.
I tried an Edelbrock Quicksilver on a Harley once,wound up trading that POS for a set of factory saddlebags.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen the adapter that can be placed between the inlet and tbi. But I'm not going through the effort of installing a vfpr and spring since I'll converting soon.

make the stock regulator adjustable and get it turned up so you make 13-14 psi with vehicle running. Go for a drive and if pressure drops more than 1 psi, you need a pump. A TPI or vortec pump is a highly recommended upgrade. TBI bleeds off pressure immediately after shutdown, there is a small orifice under the regulator.

good luck with the carb conversion, you will create more problems for yourself than solve IMO.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does the carb tolerate poor tuning,it's the engine that has to tolerate it.
Some carburetors respond to what the engine wants better than others. Edelbrocks are well regarded for being plonked onto an engine with no tuning and running reasonably well. My Cadillac ran smoothly with the stock jets in the Edelbrock, but the plugs read lean. You wouldn't have known it without pulling the plugs.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some carburetors respond to what the engine wants better than others. Edelbrocks are well regarded for being plonked onto an engine with no tuning and running reasonably well. My Cadillac ran smoothly with the stock jets in the Edelbrock, but the plugs read lean. You wouldn't have known it without pulling the plugs.
Sometimes you just have to break out your orifice drills and open a jet up. I went through that with my 92 softail a while back .0295 pilot jet was too fat and .028 was too lean. Wound up reaming a .028 to .0287 In this case I used a tapered reamer that clockmakers use to size bushing holes.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I swapped my half-bridgeported rotary engine into my RX-7, I had the pressed-in factory jets in my Nikki carb yanked and the hole tapped for metric bolts. Then I bought a set of numbered drill bits and a bag of phillips-head machine screws and drilled my own jets.