Tbi fuel pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can't stand the fuel mileage now at 10-1/2lbs.
Hopefully I'll heal soon up so I can put my 355 in there.
Your O2 sensor should give accurate data so, your ECM/PCM will add/subtract fuel to achieve proper AFR. By having higher pressures MAY help with the hard start. YMMV

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I swapped out the fuel pump relay with one we had in the shop, and it started right up everytime over about a 1 hour span. Although that could've been a coincidence.

@PlayingWithTBI about a month ago I did the fuel pressure check(before I knew the IGN fuse was blown), and I had 9psi. Shouldn't there be more psi coming from the pump?

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Not necessarily, you may have a weak fuel pressure spring. If you find it is the fuel pump, go to a higher volume one like one for Vortec or TPI.
I rebuilt the tbi unit last year and used everything in the kit(smp). Is there a way to test pressure at the regulator?

Would a vortec pump benefit me in any way, especially when I do the carb swap?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would a vortec pump benefit me in any way, especially when I do the carb swap?
Well, a TBI pump will support ~230 HP at 13 PSI, the Vortec pump will support ~450 HP at 60 PSI so, you'll get a little more at lower pressures.

Is there a way to test pressure at the regulator?
Yeah, you can get a test setup that goes at the fuel pump or, the fittings and gauge to go right behind the TB. You can also add a VFPR so you can dial it in.

Here's mine with an EP381 Vortec pump with a 28 LB spring.
You must be registered for see images attach

As far as a carb goes, I wouldn't bother installing a toilet bowl when I already have an electronically regulated one :rolleyes: