Engine hydro locking from fuel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BkY32

Reaction score
Alright before I start my truck was stripped kinda. I was away for a year on the other side of the USA. Good chance they could have took my fuel injection and put in their truck cause his was messed up and there was a used tube of gasket maker in the battery tray.

I get my truck towed back I buy the parts to replace what was stolen to get it started. Bought a new distributor cap and rotor, plugs plug wires, serpentine belt, fan clutch, fan blade, a multi purpose 5 terminal relay for the fuel pump. I get around to trying to fix it get it running. Started cranking it and it would hit over and over and over starter locks up bought a new one few months later. New starter in cranks hits runs for a few seconds sounds bad like it had bad fuel which it did have old fuel. Go to crank again motor locks up. Take all plugs turn the crank lots of fuel shoots out. Put plus back in and cranks hits crank hits locks up filled up with fuel again. Bought a fuel injector pressure tester or w/e it’s called. To see if the regulator is leaking it read 3psi then 0 turn the key on off couple cycles stays at 0psi which makes no sense cause it clearly has pressure. And I don’t want to pull it all apart till I know exactly is wrong. Do you all have any clue ideas or tricks to know what exactly is wrong or what to do to find out what’s the issue without pulling the top intake off?

I thought of pulling the upper intake taking out the unit and plug it back up and see if any injectors are stuck and that’s why it reading 0psi fuel pressure and causing the motor to lock up. But would it be okay to leave the top intake off till I get the parts to fix it back? Maybe put masking tape over the holes the injectors go in and lay a trash bag over it I don’t know or what should I do or if it’s even okay to leave it apart.

Also trying to figure out what fuel injection it has is so confusing cause I thought mpfi was if it had a fuel injectors on a fuel rail etc. but I looked up vin number and said I’m supposed to have mpfi.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought of pulling the upper intake taking out the unit and plug it back up and see if any injectors are stuck and that’s why it reading 0psi fuel pressure and causing the motor to lock up.
Yup. You'll probably also want to drain the oil pan to get the fuel out of your oil. If I'm going to have the intake opened up for a while, I stuff a sock in each runner - but make sure they hang out the top enough that you don't forget to remove them. My big-block Cadillac ran like crap until the intake valves finished chewing the socks and spit them out the tailpipe.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel pressure dropping could be a leaky FPR or stuck injector. Only way to check for injectors working properly is to do an injector balance test. Or physically remove the plenum, unhook them and cycle and you will see if they are leaking.

Careful because if the injector fills the cylinder with fuel you can hydrolock the engine and bend a rod.

BkY32

Reaction score
Yup. You'll probably also want to drain the oil pan to get the fuel out of your oil. If I'm going to have the intake opened up for a while, I stuff a sock in each runner - but make sure they hang out the top enough that you don't forget to remove them. My big-block Cadillac ran like crap until the intake valves finished chewing the socks and spit them out the tailpipe.
Lol okay thank you so much.

BkY32

Reaction score
Fuel pressure dropping could be a leaky FPR or stuck injector. Only way to check for injectors working properly is to do an injector balance test. Or physically remove the plenum, unhook them and cycle and you will see if they are leaking.

Careful because if the injector fills the cylinder with fuel you can hydrolock the engine and bend a rod.
Thank you. Yeah I knew it could bend it and that’s why I stopped. I have everything for the oil change. I’m a short fat kid hardly any tools and was hoping to not have to pull the upper intake lol.