Fuel Quality!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's when Mercedes actually built solid cars.
The only problem with this particular engine was they used a "Trap Oxidizer" to meet emissions. The idea was it would trap all the carbon exhaust (it never smoked) while driving around town and burn it off when on the highway. Well, that oxidizer was mounted above the turbo so, when it plugged off it would throw spent pellets through the turbo, lunching it too. Since it was an emissions system, Mercedes had to replace both at the same time. They even paid for my loaner too! That was the last year they made the inline turbo 6 cylinder - they also had an issue with overheating.
A couple years later, they send me a notice, they will replace the entire stainless exhaust, install a new and improved Catalyst, and warranty it for one year. After that, I was on my own. It turned out a year later it blew a head gasket and warped the head so, I donated the car to a charity and wrote it off on my taxes :waytogo:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only problem with this particular engine was they used a "Trap Oxidizer" to meet emissions. The idea was it would trap all the carbon exhaust (it never smoked) while driving around town and burn it off when on the highway. Well, that oxidizer was mounted above the turbo so, when it plugged off it would throw spent pellets through the turbo, lunching it too. Since it was an emissions system, Mercedes had to replace both at the same time. They even paid for my loaner too! That was the last year they made the inline turbo 6 cylinder - they also had an issue with overheating.
A couple years later, they send me a notice, they will replace the entire stainless exhaust, install a new and improved Catalyst, and warranty it for one year. After that, I was on my own. It turned out a year later it blew a head gasket and warped the head so, I donated the car to a charity and wrote it off on my taxes :waytogo:
Remember when Mercedes advertised their new clean diesel with a clean white shirtsleeve by the exhaust? The older ones were notorious for smokin like a damn freight train!

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I bought Smoky I bought a '98 S-10 to put my 355 in then decided I didn't want a little truck. Kicked around the idea of finding a 37 Chevy truck body to put on the S-10 chassis when I found Smoky up in Jax. so the S-10 got mothballed. It's time for that thing to go away so I'm stripping any parts I can use for Smoky. I figured I'd see if the Vortec fuel pump was still any good so I hooked a MC battery up to it and figured it would either not work or pump pure rancid brown syrup out. The pump came on and pumped about 3gal. of pretty clear fuel out. That truck has been sitting here for three years now and no telling how long it sat before I bought it. Just goes to show how long fuel will stay fresh if sealed in a metal container. I'll use it for wash solvent and not take a chance that it has lost its pop.

SDog4127

Reaction score
I been running Marathon gas for several years now until today. Yesterday my favorite fuel station had bags on all their pump nozzles so I had to go down the street to a Chevron station. Pumped in $40 worth and went home. This morning I had to go back into town and do some running around. I drive like I wanna get there so I'm usually on the go pedal,MPG be damned. On the way back a slow poke jumped out in front of me so the first opportunity I got I mashed the motor. I was running about 40 and it lit the rear tire and shoved me in the seat when it grabbed back up. Ol Smoky has never run that good and after putting about 30 miles of cruise and stop and go the fuel gauge was reading the same as when I left the house. I don't know if it's all Marathon stations or just the one I usually haunt but there is definitely a difference in the amount of pop in the fuel.
Temperature/air density makes a HUGE difference in ignition timing and thus crisp throttle response. I’ve found 60-70° is ideal for power (ign. adv.) and Lowe EGR. Fuel is a huge difference, but it is captive by the knock sensor. The ECM will keep timing at its highest point before knock is sensed.
Unfortunately these older V8’s do not adjust much based on fuel octane like the K2X’s read alcohol content and boost HP if octane is sufficient.

Not nocking (pun) your experience, but in my experience the power difference in my TBI 350 was always affected by ambient temperature.

Best!

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My nearest Mobil gas station doesn't display top tier on the pumps and I don't see anything around that says it. It's actually a 7-11 but a busy one.
The other 7-11 a mile away has just 7-11 on the pumps iirc...

Went to a Sunoco since I know it's top tier but same thing. No top tier mention... Real dive looking place... Buy bongs and stuff ... Kind where you check the dates if you dare to buy anything to eat or drink..

Went to another Sunoco a few weeks ago. Real dive too but it had the stickers....

The top tier site says to contact them if stations don't display the stickers...

Truck running a bit weird after this last Sunoco fill....
How are we to be sure this gas is top tier?
I'm used to running efree but figured I'd jump on the top tier corn bandwagon...it's cheaper for sure....
Came across some random posts about companies are allowed to display tt gas but not required or something... I think it was during the supply chain issues and companies couldn't source detergents fast enough..idk...