Bolt-on hitch reciever for winch cradle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mik3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got what I think is a ranch hand rear bumper. I'm planning on bolting a 5.5" x 12" 1/4 inch plate of steel in the ball area and welding/bolting a 2" square tube on it. I've seen another truck with this kind of setup so I'm guessing it's strong enough.

My bumper:
You must be registered for see images attach

What I'm thinking:

The truck above has the hitch mounted on the bottom. I was thinking about doing mine on top but i may do it just like this.. My truck is getting lifted 9" with 35s, so I'm thinking the receiver on bottom will help with lowering the ball if I ever tow. The hitch is mainly going to be used for a 10k winch in a receiver cradle. I'm going to do three bolts instead of four, two on the sides where I already have two holes, and one in the center about 2-3" back from the front two. The center bolt will also help hold the receiver.. I'll bolt both the receiver and the plate of steel to the bumper to make sure even if the welds break, the hitch won't go flying. I don't know if just the square hitch receiver is made without mounting, but if they do I'll use one of those. If not, I'll just use some 2" square tubing, drill a hole for the pin and call it good. Opinions, thoughts, and other designs welcome.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
This depends entirely on how good u are at welding, and using the proper steel. If I under stand yer design properly, its feasible. The square tube MUST be thickwall tubing. Welds MUST be thick and clean. I have a question about the bolt placement in the tube. Will it be deep enough to clear the receiver? This is a HIGH stress piece of equipment, so you can't p-ussyfoot around.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Why not just bolt on a hitch? You are talking about making something that IF it breaks, there will be devestating consequences.

Mik3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This bumper is too low, and I don't think there is a hitch made to go under it that will bolt to the frame. The bolt that will go through the receiver tube will be far back in the tube yes. Before I decide placement entirely, I'll cut a piece of steel and tube and mock it all up, put the winch cradle in the tube to see how far back it will need to be. I'm pretty good at welding also, took a few classes. I'm going to be using arc for this project, I figure with how thick of metal I'm going to be welding, I can get tremendous penetration with high amperage = very strong and thick welds. I've been considering just getting a hitch to bolt on the front of the truck also, but I would like some way of mounting in the back in case there's no way to winch out from the front. If you can drive in, generally you can go back out that way lol.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
OK I see it now. Yeah I think yer on the right track with the idea. The main concern is strength. I would go ahead and weld in some angles on each side of the tube. 1/4" thick min with cutouts for yer e-chains. Maybe even a set of angles front and rear of the tube. Take a good hard look at how a Reese hitch receiver is constructed and cue yours off that. When your welding be sure to watch for cracks following your bead. Take time to let things cool in between beads. Too hot is just as bad as too cool, so run a few short tacks to get it right. Good luck.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Gusset the hell out of it and make sure you bevel all of the edges you're going to weld. Most any mild steel (4130, 4340 will work). Full penetration on the welds is key.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
That's my bumper in the OP and I used 1/2" plate to bolt to the bumper with 4 3/4" bolts. For the tube, I welded it with three passes per side and I have 2" square gussets on both sides with holes for the chains. I've towed our boat several times with no problems, but I'd suggest going with 3/8 if not 1/2 for the plate. I wouldn't trust 1/4. Also for the tube, Tractor Supply has premade weld-on tubes in various lengths

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
This bumper is too low, and I don't think there is a hitch made to go under it that will bolt to the frame.

Are you sure? My ranchhand is an 8" drop, and leaves plenty of room for my stock hitch to remain functional:

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
if your bumper is to low just throw on a 2 or 3 in body lift & raise the bumper! then you will have room for a hitch! :shrug:

Mik3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I welded my bumper on, hunter. And chris, that is actually an eye opener, I might go out to the junk yard and pull a few hitches to test fit them..