bolt-on windage trays: 350 vs 400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently saw a thread (can't find it & don't recall its age) which mentioned swapping windage trays & oil pans between sbc 350 & 400 blocks.

FWIW, I just confirmed how the side-to-side aka passenger vs driver side BOLT SPACING of OE 400 main bolts is WIDER than on 350. Because 400 main journal has markedly larger OD than a 350 main journal; thus 400 main bolts are also spread farther apart. That difference is about 1/4" between bolt centers.

Some windage trays that bolt onto caps are sized specifically for either 350 or 400; others may fit both (but don't assume which is which).

Soooo, if you're thinking you might bolt that spare OE L30 or L31 tray onto your old 400 block; think again.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been common for 302/350 windage trays to be bolted to 400 blocks by oblonging the bolt holes a bit. I did that, using the "Z/28" windage tray on the engine in the 'Camino.

Another issue is that the windage tray may need to be lowered a little into the pan, to avoid contact with the longer stroke of the 400. I suppose that depends on the actual windage tray involved, and the hardware used (OEM studded bolts, or aftermarket bolts, or studs 'n' nuts. Kinda thinking I needed longer hardware from ARP when I did the 'Camino engine.

In short...not a big deal to rework a 350 tray to suit a 400. I bet the dipstick location has more impact than the bolt spacing.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's been common for 302/350 windage trays to be bolted to 400 blocks by oblonging the bolt holes a bit. I did that, using the "Z/28" windage tray on the engine in the 'Camino.

Another issue is that the windage tray may need to be lowered a little into the pan, to avoid contact with the longer stroke of the 400. I suppose that depends on the actual windage tray involved, and the hardware used (OEM studded bolts, or aftermarket bolts, or studs 'n' nuts. Kinda thinking I needed longer hardware from ARP when I did the 'Camino engine.

In short...not a big deal to rework a 350 tray to suit a 400. I bet the dipstick location has more impact than the bolt spacing.

My 383 with a Milodon tray has the stock L31 studs and did not need to be spaced, loads of clearence.

I also agree, can oblong the bolt holes slightly to make most 350 windage trays fit. Years ago I seem to remember having to oblong the tray mounting holes the opposite direction when I built a SJ 327. Used a long Z/28 style GM tray for a LH dipstick 350 in that 327.

I typically have to take a carbide bit to the tray anyway to clear the pump body on the M99HVs pumps I run.