Making changes to a 10 bolt rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info., but really not interested in rear discs. For close to the cost of that setup, I can get a SF 14bolt and redrill the axles/drums to fit my truck, which looks like what may happen

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info., but really not interested in rear discs. For close to the cost of that setup, I can get a SF 14bolt and redrill the axles/drums to fit my truck, which looks like what may happen
I don’t have a 5 lug, so what am I missing? Why not these?
Edit: I think the picture is misleading, when you read description, it says 8 lug I believe.

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to swap a 14sf into ur truck, you need a 2wd 14sf. Then you can get the 5 lug axle shafts n swap em in.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spent the day today realizing I'm probably overthinking this. Why not just swap the rear brakes from a late model OBS onto my rear end? Getting info from Rockauto, it will be less expensive to replace everything, from the backing plate to the drum (both sides), than to get a SF 14 bolt, and modify that for 5 lug wheels. Moving from a JB3 leading/trailing brake setup to a JB5 duo-servo system should be a definite improvement. That way I don't have to make an appointment ahead of time to make a hard stop, as in intimate contact with a stationary object

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JB5 and JB3 are the same at the rear, at least in the GMT400 era. The front is different, and the master/booster are different...but the ass-end is still the craptastic 254mm leading/trailing shoe drum.

You're looking for JB6, at least on a GMT400. If the newer trucks have different brakes under the same ol' option codes, I don't know about it. Certainly possible.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve racked my brain on this and the only way I can see to get 11” brakes, besides getting a Suburban 10 bolt or, the BEST option, a 14 bolt SF, would be to cut existing flange off and weld in a new 14b flange. My goal is to find a 14 bolt.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure on the JB designation, kinda pulled the JB5 outa my butt. All I know is, I can get 11" brakes for a '97 C1500 5 lug truck and put them on my '89 C1500