BNielsen's 2000 Chevy K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked glow plugs? How mant rpms is when cranking?

Haven't physically pulled the GPs to see if they're working; I assume they are since it's not the typical white smoke coming out while cranking.
Cranking RPMs I'm not sure exactly, I was on swamper duty while my buddies cranked on it; had a scan tool hooked up and apparently the Cam(?) position sensor was showing a flatline while the Crank position was showing rotation.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm happy this truck got rescued from the yard; it would've been stripped to nothing in no time.
That being said I probably won't do it again unless it's a honey of a truck

Make no mistake, I don't want the truck, it's beat to ****. I want that power train. Apparently to do nothing and do it slowly. But that's OK, cuz you can literally take a whizz in the tank and the stupid thing will still run.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make no mistake, I don't want the truck, it's beat to ****. I want that power train. Apparently to do nothing and do it slowly. But that's OK, cuz you can literally take a whizz in the tank and the stupid thing will still run.
Well maybe here in a year or three I'll pull this one out and ship it to you so you can get your kicks?
This truck is getting a Cummins sooner or later; and if the blow by is as harsh as I think it is, it might be sooner

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dump that old diesel and start with fresh fuel. I'd even try a little head bolt stretcher (ether). Just don't go crazy with the ether unless you want to start that Cummins swap tomorrow.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dump that old diesel and start with fresh fuel. I'd even try a little head bolt stretcher (ether). Just don't go crazy with the ether unless you want to start that Cummins swap tomorrow.
We were giving it sniffs and snorts of ether, and just a sniff or three of brake clean.
I may throw a jug of good fuel at it to see what it'll do; I'm gonna try and unhook the optical sensor to see if I can fool it into running on the musty old diesel.

Meh, we dumped it liberally down my dad's 6.5 and it never blew up.
The stuff me and my buddies were using was only like 25% or therabouts; I have a can of the John Deere stuff squirreled away somewhere if I get desperate.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We were giving it sniffs and snorts of ether, and just a sniff or three of brake clean.

Wanna know how to get a cold diesel to crank with no plugs?

Option 1: Take a rag, sprinkle gas on it, wrap it so the intake will suck gas THROUGH the rag (obviously hold it with a death grip), and spin it over. Two-stroke gas also works well and since it's in a smaller can it'll be easier to do. Maybe even spritz a smidge in the intake with a spray bottle. I do the rag method though. An old farmer with Olivers and case's galor in his yard said he had been doing it to all of them since their glow plugs went out and never had an issue in 20+ years.

Option 2, and more dangerous: Get your wife's hair dryer and shove it in the intake pipe on low but blowing fast with the air cleaner lid flipped upside down.

Now flip the air cleaner back over, pull your (no longer your wife's) hair dryer out and it should start. Now make sure a camper shell is on at least 1 truck because that's your new home for a few days.

IDK about that optical sensor unfortunately. Maybe it gives a variable voltage between 0-5v back to the ECU to turn on the fuel to the pump?