BNielsen's 2000 Chevy K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Noooo don't use starting fluid on a 6.5! They have a ridiculously high compression ratio and you can kill one as soon as the glow plugs light. Use WD40 instead.
Sh_t; I didn't even think about it being a high compression motor.
My only concern is the WD-40 not having enough snort to wake this thing up, it has been sitting for at least 2 full years at this point

Aeroscream

Reaction score
Noooo don't use starting fluid on a 6.5! They have a ridiculously high compression ratio and you can kill one as soon as the glow plugs light. Use WD40 instead.
X2 what Skylark said.

Really nice truck, I like it.
Not in that bad of shape.
I hope it fires of for you and doesn't have much corlateral damage from sitting.
Kudos to you for rescuing it.
I know I'd like to have a diesel 4x4 like that one besides my 2wd.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Subscribed! I got a nearly identical truck as this in red, except mine has a 5.7. Same year too. Mine was a ranch truck in it's former life, so it is also a bit rough, but not bad.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Sh_t; I didn't even think about it being a high compression motor.
My only concern is the WD-40 not having enough snort to wake this thing up, it has been sitting for at least 2 full years at this point
If WD-40 can get an old 12 valve that's been in the weeds for 10+ years to fire up in a few minutes, I bet it'll do the trick on a 6.5.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Slow progress is progress still. I think that's going to be the saying with this truck.

Little update, last weekend my buddies were dinking around with it and got it to crank over! I finally got a key guy called so I should have a set of keys Monday! I also ordered a new PMD, a PMD extension cable, and a knockoff SSDiesel FSD Heat Sync. So hopefully by next Saturday it'll be running and driving barring some tragic issue.

Got sick of tripping over my old Chevy grill so I ran out to my buddies' shop and swapped out the old busted one for this less busted one.
Old junque
You must be registered for see images attach

New garbage

I forgot how nice the gold bowtie looks, but the black one just looks so much better imo, breaks up the chrome.
And don't worry about the old busted one; tt's going to live out the rest of its days as a piece of wall-art in my friend's mancave

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Almost got it running! It's cranking over and catching but not firing, my buddy had the codes pulled and I'm trying to get them from him so I can do a little more research.
It's got fuel to the IP, it's got fuel to the injectors, it's turning over, and it's got smoke coming from the exhaust pipe as it's turning over. I gotta say I owe my friends a couple beers and a good dinner for helping me out with this derelict wagon.

Putting the amps to it with my friend's Yota and a beater Ranger.

Anyone got any ideas what we could be missing?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Remind us, is this fresh diesel or super old diesel? Not sure if that matters with the old 6.5. What was the temperature? When they're turds, they're even bigger turds if it's cold.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remind us, is this fresh diesel or super old diesel? Not sure if that matters with the old 6.5. What was the temperature? When they're turds, they're even bigger turds if it's cold.
Super old diesel; kinda has a green tint to it so it's probably no good honestly. And it was about 53 or so degrees yesterday when we were trying to get it going.
Glow plugs were all working from what I could figure.