Block heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

norad848

Reaction score
We're block heaters an option on our trucks? If so, where do they go and what all is involved in installing it? My rig is a 96 GMC Sierra 1500 5.7L 4x4.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they were. You should be able to buy one from any parts store that goes in place of one of the freeze plugs in the block. Requires draining antifreeze, removing frost plug, installing heater and refilling antifreeze

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Connects to the block drain and a heater hose, it heats & circulates.

norad848

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks. I'm getting ready to move to ND within the next couple months, so I want to prepare my truck.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Honestly unless you had a diesel I wouldn't consider it necessary. It gets really cold here and I've used it once. Didn't really need it. I just let my truck warm up for 5-10 minutes, and you should do that whether you have a heater or not in cold conditions (I used it on a night that had a wind-chill warning of as low as -41 recently, but we've had nights as cold when it started fine without).

My 2 cents