Block heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use mine so I don't have to let it warm up as long. Just a couple of minutes and I'm making heat.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If i ever end up pulling my engine I'm gona install one

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
how does that work

The chamber has a pressure style valve on one end and one way flow on the other. It heats the fluid until it expands enough to overcome the valve and it spurts out, the valve closes and the process starts again. that's how it heats and circulates.

Honestly unless you had a diesel I wouldn't consider it necessary. It gets really cold here and I've used it once. Didn't really need it. I just let my truck warm up for 5-10 minutes, and you should do that whether you have a heater or not in cold conditions (I used it on a night that had a wind-chill warning of as low as -41 recently, but we've had nights as cold when it started fine without).

My 2 cents

A heater is a good idea on a Gas engine also. easier on the hard parts and easier on the electrical system (batteries, alternator starter). Further north or out west fr enough and you won't get it started without plugging it in. I've lived in Sask, Man and Alberta. Lots of weeks if it isn't plugged in an hour of two before starting it isn't going to.

for ref, I'm stuck in NL right now and am from NS, so I know what you're talking about bro.....:)

BigV

Reaction score
My 99 Suburban 5.7l came with one. It was an import from Canada where block heaters are pretty normal.

My only complaint is the plug is in the driver side wheel well. Gets pretty nasty there. I put an extension cord on it for the winter so I can plug it in by popping the hood.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
The chamber has a pressure style valve on one end and one way flow on the other. It heats the fluid until it expands enough to overcome the valve and it spurts out, the valve closes and the process starts again. that's how it heats and circulates.

A heater is a good idea on a Gas engine also. easier on the hard parts and easier on the electrical system (batteries, alternator starter). Further north or out west fr enough and you won't get it started without plugging it in. I've lived in Sask, Man and Alberta. Lots of weeks if it isn't plugged in an hour of two before starting it isn't going to.

for ref, I'm stuck in NL right now and am from NS, so I know what you're talking about bro.....:)

Agreed they are nice but I never get too excited about them. But I can see out west where it actually stays proper cold all winter they would be more necessary. My buddy up in Yellowknife said it's been close to -50 recently, I reckon you'd have a hard time even turning an engine over in that cold, never mind starting it haha.

Stuck on da rock, lucky you...:rofl:
Where abouts in NS are you from? I was born in Halifax but lived out towards eastern passage 'till I was probably 15 or so.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Agreed they are nice but I never get too excited about them. But I can see out west where it actually stays proper cold all winter they would be more necessary. My buddy up in Yellowknife said it's been close to -50 recently, I reckon you'd have a hard time even turning an engine over in that cold, never mind starting it haha.

Stuck on da rock, lucky you...:rofl:
Where abouts in NS are you from? I was born in Halifax but lived out towards eastern passage 'till I was probably 15 or so.

Born in halifax, got my early "education" in spryfield, grew up some more in sackville and left when i joined the air force

My wife is from " the passage"....well, she grew up there as well as dartmouth and NB....

Last edited: