'97 K1500 Suburban 5.7L Starter Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had a small issue starting my Suburban today while leaving a store. The starter seemed to engage, but the engine only turned a tiny bit and then the starter lugged and stopped. I waited a few seconds then hit the key again and it fired right up. It's done this a handful of times in the past couple years, so I'm suspecting that the starter is on it's way out. Which brings me to my question...

What is the best option out there for a replacement Vortec L31 5.7L starter? I see that a new GM replacement part is no longer available, just GM/ACDelco remans. I'm looking at the GM 10465389 (ACDelco 323-1064) but I just want to know if anyone has any other suggestions before I pull the trigger.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*DONT use a cardone unit.*

Now I may be thinking of a different vehicle, but I thought there was a compact starter that was readily available. I feel like it was a denso unit :shrug:

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Might’ve been this one I’m thinking about. I know the regular one is heavy and not a lot of fun to replace while laying on your back in a gravel parking lot in the dark with no Jack while you’re in the middle of a road trip so everything under the truck is 200 degrees…

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

These are the two denso units I was thinking about. They have an even smaller one for the corvette but looks like the bellhousing mount is different. Both of these part numbers are available on the bezos shopping network.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see that there are other options besides the GM/ACDelco remans, but are there any benefits besides the smaller size of the gear reduction styles? Is the longevity of one option likely to be any better than another?

The factory starter on this truck has lasted over 26 years. Normally I'm all for replacing broken stuff with something better, but in this case I'm not sure I have any reason to.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had to warranty a denso part, I have warrantied acdelco reman parts. That’s my experience.
If anything the gear reduction starters might last a little longer in theory, they don’t have as big of a motor so they don’t draw as much current so they dont get as hot.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is apples to oranges but I have a powermaster on my 6.5. I don't know how fast it cranked when the OE starter was new but going from when I bought the truck 3+ years ago it is a night and day difference. My other truck with the TBI 5.7 I just put a reman from carquest on it and it seems to crank just as good as the 240k mile one it replaced. Both of the starters are a PMGR starter.