Choosing a starter '94 C1500 5.7L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt mine. But that is what we did when I worked in Aerospace. If you have the skill set, and now You Tube. The world is your Octopus, or Oyster or what ever. More HOME BREW!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1994 Silverado C1500 5.7L, having intermittent slow starts so took the oem starter to a shop & it was verified good,
"Off-the-car" testing is a poor way to diagnose electrical problems.

Ideally, the entire starting/charging power team is tested as a unit. This would include the wire harness that connects it all. A dying battery can seem like a failing starter. A failing alternator can appear to be a failed battery. Corroded wiring or corroded connections can seem like failed starter, or failed alternator. Parasitic current draws can mimic dead batteries. It's all interconnected.

Mind you, at near 300K miles, an original starter should probably have been replaced long ago. Perhaps it was.

but it is original with 295k mi. RockAuto is my go to, would rather have new but reman is ok. Remy or ACDelco are preferred?
It's a SBC. There's a hundred options for direct-drive and gear-reduction starter motors. Eighty-five of those options will be junk imports from China. But that still leaves fifteen percent of decent quality.

All connections are good
How do you know?

I will be installing a coil first for troubleshooting as this 2nd coil I'm running is an ACDelco with 90k mi.
What "coil" are you talking about? An ignition coil, or pickup coil has nothing to do with engine cranking.

At minimum, someone needs to do some voltage testing of this vehicle, before, during, and after cranking the engine. Better would be to check amperage draw of the starter, and amperage output of the alternator, along with a proper load-test of the battery. Perhaps even voltage-drop (VD) testing of the wire harness.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull your battery cable to the starter and your ground cables loose and wire brush both them and where they bolt. If there's any crud in the bit of wire that you can see, the cable needs to be cut back.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media