1999 Suburban k1500 - New Remanu Installed, Engine Start Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colemalt

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban k1500. I had a mobile mechanic install a new remanu engine, connecting everything back together, the starter engages (I bought a new starter even though the OEM one is fine / I have tried both starters). It had started to turn over, but we had to take the oil pump out because the new one wasn't primed and pumping. After replacing the oil pump and connecting the oil pump and everything, neither starter will turn the engine. Shims aren't doing anything either. There is a sharp grind / ding sound. I have been underneath and the starter is engaging, it's like something is stuck but I then turned the engine manually from the front to make sure it's not seized. It turns needless to say (not super hard to turn), but now the flywheel does have some grind and 1 slightly cracked tooth. I got a new battery as well to see if that was it and it's not. Mobile Mechanic bailed on me, so I'm trying to figure it out...Please Help. CA. I can upload photos / video if needed. Trying to salvage costs because of the mechanic walking at the end after being paid and not finishing the job.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to start from scratch. Mobile mechanic imo ****** some **** up.. that being said where exactly did you get this engine?

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take some pictures. I'd start with the basics, are the block and trans lined up? Can you turn the engine over by hand 360 degrees (removing spark plugs makes this easy)?

colemalt

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to start from scratch. Mobile mechanic imo ****** some **** up.. that being said where exactly did you get this engine?
LKQ - There's a local one in my town, so I was able to pick up and avoid some shipping cost. I should have just done it all myself or took it to a an actual place, this was my first experience with a mobile, so I don't think I'll ever do it again. I have a 98 k1500 that I work on myself, but I just didn't have the time and for some reason was trustworthy via a neighbors opinion....

colemalt

Reaction score
Take some pictures. I'd start with the basics, are the block and trans lined up? Can you turn the engine over by hand 360 degrees (removing spark plugs makes this easy)?
I'll upload some pics here in a bit. I can turn the engine fully with a wrench/hatchet, even with the spark plugs. (it's a little tough, but I'm able to turn with 2 hands). I don't know if when it was reset something tweaked after the oil pump was out and put back in... Block and trans look lined up as normal.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For sure sounds like you need a flex plate.
Second I would removed the trans and plugs. Then spin it and see how it feels. If it's binding , you'll have to remove it once again and do further investigating.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure the flex plate has the exact same amount of teeth and diameter.

colemalt

Reaction score
For sure sounds like you need a flex plate.
Second I would removed the trans and plugs. Then spin it and see how it feels. If it's binding , you'll have to remove it once again and do further investigating.
I was thinking I might need to replace it. It's the original from the old engine. I wanted to replace before putting the new engine in, but mechanic said it was fine. Should have listened to my gut lol.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a good thing you didn't imo. You could of damaged the new flexplate. By the way did you purchase a oem oil pump?