2000 K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Got the truck to fire up today! Then was immediately reminded that I didn't cap off my trans cooler lines and covered all my tools in trans fluid. Brought the radiator and auxiliary trans cooler home to clean any moisture out. Got the core support on and its actually starting to look like normal again.
You must be registered for see images attach

Also, got another score Friday night (not sure what I did to have such good luck) and got myself of Duratracs that were even Load range E. Got those mounted as well. Still got some cleaning to do but they look good on there!
You must be registered for see images attach
Yes they do! You ought to get a lottery ticket or 2 while your streak is hot LOL

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes they do! You ought to get a lottery ticket or 2 while your streak is hot LOL
Right? I was just joking around with the fiance that theres no way this truck will fire right up with the good luck I had on the wheels. But then it did, maybe I should go get one, that way I can restomod this thing the way I actually want to.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got fresh fluid pushed through both transmission coolers and on the upside nothing milky even came out, all the fluid was nice and fresh. However, I tried to see what new fluid smelled like to compare. The new fluid has absolutely no scent that I can smell. But when I smell the fluid in the truck, it definitely has a scent. I wouldn't classify it as burnt though (otherwise every older vehicle I've owned had bad transmissions). Am I just that weak nosed or should new fluid have a smell?
I did do some googling on colors of fluid, and it says that if the fluid is black that would be cause for concern. My fluid is definitely darker (pan service is planned for when the truck gets home) so hopefully I'm alright. Otherwise the truck gets a new transmission too.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got fresh fluid pushed through both transmission coolers and on the upside nothing milky even came out, all the fluid was nice and fresh. However, I tried to see what new fluid smelled like to compare. The new fluid has absolutely no scent that I can smell. But when I smell the fluid in the truck, it definitely has a scent. I wouldn't classify it as burnt though (otherwise every older vehicle I've owned had bad transmissions). Am I just that weak nosed or should new fluid have a smell?
I did do some googling on colors of fluid, and it says that if the fluid is black that would be cause for concern. My fluid is definitely darker (pan service is planned for when the truck gets home) so hopefully I'm alright. Otherwise the truck gets a new transmission too.

You kept your tranny, right? Only swapped the engine is what I understood?

If it shifted fine before, I would not be concerned. Did you drop the pan and change the filter? Or just flushing it?

It it was burnt it would have an obvious smell.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You kept your tranny, right? Only swapped the engine is what I understood?

If it shifted fine before, I would not be concerned. Did you drop the pan and change the filter? Or just flushing it?

It it was burnt it would have an obvious smell.
I did keep the trans. The truck has had an issue with dropping OD, or if im understanding the 4L80s correctly, TC Lockup (I think in the 4L80s OD is just TC Lockup). However, there is no shudder or shake, just kinda slides out of OD.

When the truck does get home I am gonna take it in to have the pan gasket done and filter changed. I'm still undecided if I want to have them swap the fluid. No powerflush but I have been reading some shops have a machine that will let the transmission pump suck in the new fluid and push the old fluid out. I just suck with transmissions and don't have the money right now to tempt fate on the transmission.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The old fluid is varnished if it isn't burned. To me it smells a bit like crayons. The new stuff will smell almost sweet I'm comparison.

Yeah it doesn't smell burnt as i've been reading further some people have said burnt fluid will be the worst smell you'll ever smell. But the smell of the fluid in my truck smells like a mix between sweetish and a little tart.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did keep the trans. The truck has had an issue with dropping OD, or if im understanding the 4L80s correctly, TC Lockup (I think in the 4L80s OD is just TC Lockup). However, there is no shudder or shake, just kinda slides out of OD.

When the truck does get home I am gonna take it in to have the pan gasket done and filter changed. I'm still undecided if I want to have them swap the fluid. No powerflush but I have been reading some shops have a machine that will let the transmission pump suck in the new fluid and push the old fluid out. I just suck with transmissions and don't have the money right now to tempt fate on the transmission.

I see. I'm no tranmission wizard myself.

4 th or overdrive are gear selection. TC lockup has to do with when the torque converter basically eliminates any rotational difference internally. Basically, when it locks up it's like there's a solid shaft between the flywheel of the engine and input shaft of the tranmission.

Not sure if they would be related. Do you have any transmision codes?

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see. I'm no tranmission wizard myself.

4 th or overdrive are gear selection. TC lockup has to do with when the torque converter basically eliminates any rotational difference internally. Basically, when it locks up it's like there's a solid shaft between the flywheel of the engine and input shaft of the tranmission.

Not sure if they would be related. Do you have any transmision codes?
If I did they are gone now that the battery has been unhooked for two months. But the truck is extremely close to being back on the road. I thought I had it narrowed down to the truck having no T-stat thus not reaching operating temp at all. Last drive I took it for it seemed to be okay but I was paying more attention to the oil psi gauge. Hopefully, if the wrenching gods will allow it, I should have the truck back on the road this coming weekend.