My first Chevy - 2000 K2500 RCLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runs4beer

Reaction score
I’m a Mopar guy, but when the in-laws offer you a free truck, you take it! She’ll be outnumbered four to one in the driveway, but she’ll get taken care of just the same.

2000 K2500 RCLB 5 speed (I think it’s a 5.7, I’ll find out for sure when I go pick her up later this week). Few rust spots, but overall in pretty good shape, and she started right up on the first try after sitting in the field for the last couple years. Only 90k miles on her. Def needs a good bath and thorough going through, but I don’t think she’s gonna need too much. Looking forward to rowing gears again, been 20 years since I’ve had a manual in the driveway.

Thought it was interesting that there’s no marker lights, I’m used to Dodges were all of the HD trucks have them. Guess the GVWR doesn’t require them? I forget what the cutoff is.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought it was interesting that there’s no marker lights, I’m used to Dodges were all of the HD trucks have them. Guess the GVWR doesn’t require them? I forget what the cutoff is.
The yellow lenses in the front are reflectors, parking/clearance lights, and turn signals. Same as the red ones in the back.

Congrats on the acquisition.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m an older Mopar guy(muscle cars), but for trucks you’ve arrived. Go through it, change fluids, belt, hoses, plugs etc….and you’ll soon understand. Awesome score!

runs4beer

Reaction score
The yellow lenses in the front are reflectors, parking/clearance lights, and turn signals. Same as the red ones in the back.

Congrats on the acquisition.

Thanks! I meant the cab and tailgate lights that most HD trucks have. A quick search shows that they’re only required for vehicles over 10,000gvwr or more than 80” wide. GVWR on mine is 8600lbs and it’s 77” wide, so there we go, learned something new today.

I’m an older Mopar guy(muscle cars), but for trucks you’ve arrived. Go through it, change fluids, belt, hoses, plugs etc….and you’ll soon understand. Awesome score!

Thanks!! Yup, first order of business is fluids and wear parts.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I’m a Mopar guy, but when the in-laws offer you a free truck, you take it! She’ll be outnumbered four to one in the driveway, but she’ll get taken care of just the same.

2000 K2500 RCLB 5 speed (I think it’s a 5.7, I’ll find out for sure when I go pick her up later this week). Few rust spots, but overall in pretty good shape, and she started right up on the first try after sitting in the field for the last couple years. Only 90k miles on her. Def needs a good bath and thorough going through, but I don’t think she’s gonna need too much. Looking forward to rowing gears again, been 20 years since I’ve had a manual in the driveway.

Yup she's a 5.7 Vortec. If you look in the glove box, there should be a label with a bunch of codes on it. They're 3 characters each, and in alphabetical order. Somewhere in the middle, should be one that's L31. That's the engine code; you'll need that for any engine parts. These are great engines, I have them in both my trucks.
Biggest concern I have, looking at the underhood shot, is the positive battery cables look grungy at the battery connection. You want to keep these clean and tight; your truck will be happier and so will you!

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a great truck to start with. You will like it. I like the W/T front ends on these trucks. It also looks really good with the body color flares. I hope you will enjoy it and make it your own. A deep detail would really make it stand out.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You had me at "free truck"
My inlaws offered me a free Deawoo Lagonza.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a free 87 Firebird with a 305 and t-tops once. Put about 20k on the turd.
I think Ive posted this before but when I was a kid my Dad left me a 1973 pinto wagon as my first car.
Orange with wood side paneling and plaid orange seats and orenge shag carpet.
Chrome luggage rack and a horn that played colenal bogeys march from the "bridge over the river kwai"
The first time I drove this thing to my buddies house his dad looked at it and laughed like hell.
He said, "Well thats one way to prevent teenage pregnancy"
Thats why my first car was known as the "birth control" car