My first Chevy - 2000 K2500 RCLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heads up. If the battery cables are funky, You must do the "Big Three". These trucks are notorious for bad grounds causing a lot of stress and problem chasing for no reason. New grounds, new cables to starter and alternator. It looks like it will clean up good. Congratulations !!!

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice truck. Most RCLB trucks in the K2500 or K3500 got worked pretty hard or in my area ended life as a plow truck. Nice to see that some are taking the time and effort to keep these on the road or repair them.

Marker lights can be added, they were a factory option.

Beside my trucks I have a Hemi powered Jeep commander. It has been a great vehicle. I think many on here are multibrand fleet owners.

runs4beer

Reaction score
Yup she's a 5.7 Vortec. If you look in the glove box, there should be a label with a bunch of codes on it. They're 3 characters each, and in alphabetical order. Somewhere in the middle, should be one that's L31. That's the engine code; you'll need that for any engine parts. These are great engines, I have them in both my trucks.
Biggest concern I have, looking at the underhood shot, is the positive battery cables look grungy at the battery connection. You want to keep these clean and tight; your truck will be happier and so will you!

Thanks! Was a lil confusing at first because I kept reading that the 6.0 came out in 2000, but the VIN confirms that it’s a 5.7. Should be fine for the type of hauling and towing I’ll use it for. Not surprised the cables are corroded, she’s been sitting a long time. I was impressed that she started right up!

That is a great truck to start with. You will like it. I like the W/T front ends on these trucks. It also looks really good with the body color flares. I hope you will enjoy it and make it your own. A deep detail would really make it stand out.

Same, I def prefer the W/T front end and flares. Gonna go through all of the mechanical stuff first, then fix the rust, then some fresh paint, keep her in good condition for as long as I can.

You had me at "free truck"
My inlaws offered me a free Deawoo Lagonza.

Right?? Hard to turn down free, especially a truck that actually runs.

So sorry to hear of your ilillness! Stick around here though and we cure what ails you.

What’s funny is that my first vehicle was a ‘69 Ford F100, but somehow I didn’t become a Ford guy, but I have definitely always been a truck guy!

Heads up. If the battery cables are funky, You must do the "Big Three". These trucks are notorious for bad grounds causing a lot of stress and problem chasing for no reason. New grounds, new cables to starter and alternator. It looks like it will clean up good. Congratulations !!!

Good idea, thanks!

Nice truck. Most RCLB trucks in the K2500 or K3500 got worked pretty hard or in my area ended life as a plow truck. Nice to see that some are taking the time and effort to keep these on the road or repair them.

Marker lights can be added, they were a factory option.

Beside my trucks I have a Hemi powered Jeep commander. It has been a great vehicle. I think many on here are multibrand fleet owners.

The more old trucks on the road the better!

runs4beer

Reaction score
First round of cleaning before I brought her home, still needs more, but she cleaned up pretty good. No issues at all on the 250 mile drive home, and I already picked up a replacement bumper.

You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you get a chance, download the FREE factory service manuals here in forum. In book no.1, chapter 1 or section 1, there are all tune up, fluids ,specs,. Then you get to a section listing RPO, the three digit codes will break down all the options your truck was built with. Like this, might surprise you. Good luck.
You must be registered for see images attach

runs4beer

Reaction score
When you get a chance, download the FREE factory service manuals here in forum. In book no.1, chapter 1 or section 1, there are all tune up, fluids ,specs,. Then you get to a section listing RPO, the three digit codes will break down all the options your truck was built with. Like this, might surprise you. Good luck.

Thanks! I did see the codes on the glove box sticker.

runs4beer

Reaction score
Why the h3ll don't I ever get a free truck from the inlaws? Only grief and sadness, but no truck... ;)

Great score @runs4beer

Check for rodent leavings under the hood, they love to munch wires on parked farm trucks.

Lol I def can’t complain about my in-laws!

Amazingly enough, the only thing that got chewed on was the hose to the fuel vapor canister, not even a nibble on any of the wiring!