1967 Dodge D100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Did something expensive today ... I bought QA1's bolt-on IFS for this truck. Cost more than the darned truck did.

I have the metal and some parts for a Mustang II IFS conversion, but I just didn't feel confident in my fab and welding skills on something that important. Man's got to know his limitations.

I can use the metal on other stuff and the only parts I have that I won't end up using are the FleaBay control arms that I bought. I have CPP's Mustang II knuckles with Corvette unit bearings and brakes I will be using instead of the spindles that come with the QA1 kit.
Knowing your limitations keeps you from getting into the deep end of the pool, when your swimming skills are limited! Many a project has gotten passed along or scrapped, because someone wasn't adulting enough to figure this out....
Me personally, that's why I have a shop I trust, to handle the repairs I don't trust my own skills enough to tackle.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hadn't realized the front was not IFS. So it's a leaf spring setup? Sorry, I don't know much about older trucks other than GMT 400. :(

That setup looks insanely nice! Especially if it's a direct bolt-on swap. Speaking of R&P, I need to replace that on my 99...:confused:

I'm liking this build though. Adding high tech to an old truck. What's next? Self-driving technology? With a stick?! :D I'm joking.

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't realized the front was not IFS. So it's a leaf spring setup? Sorry, I don't know much about older trucks other than GMT 400. :(

That setup looks insanely nice! Especially if it's a direct bolt-on swap. Speaking of R&P, I need to replace that on my 99...:confused:

I'm liking this build though. What's next? Self-driving technology? With a stick?! :D I'm joking.

It's a solid front axle with leaf springs. It was already outdated in 1967.

My main reason for upgrading was brakes. 600 HP and itty-bitty drum brakes ain't going to cut it.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had to deal with rivets on steel beam and column connections, but only a few times. Not removing them, but checking that they had enough strength when adding mechanical rooftop units on an old warehouse. I think they started to get phased away in 1950s or 60s on buildings. Surprisingly, the structural capacity of them is HIGHER that the equivalent high-strength bolts we use today.

At some point, they were basically used for everything. You should watch one of those old videos on how they installed rivets on high rise buildings on YouTube. It's amazing how they installed them. Before OSHA was a thing, of course.

Edit: this short video of the Empire State Building construction shows the red-hot rivets being thrown and caught in the first minute of video.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

...but yeah, I hate them too!

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, at least it's aluminum and already had further weight reduction. You can lift it with your left arm while you mark the layout with your right arm, right? :D

BTW, what is that little fin cooler there on the right side? I had never seen an LS3, but I'm guessing this came out of a car?

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, at least it's aluminum and already had further weight reduction. You can lift it with your left arm while you mark the layout with your right arm, right? :D

BTW, that it that little fin cooler there on the right side? I had never seen an LS3, but I'm guessing this came out of a car?

Yep, it's the oil cooler. It's an f-body (Camaro) oil pan. It's no good though, it's busted on the other side. I'm pretty sure all the internals are trash.

It will be a lot easier to position. I checked into plastic mock up blocks and they're $500. Nuts.