New old guy from north East Texas.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2650

Reaction score
I have taken many engine blocks to machinists but never let a mechanic work on my truck. The family brings all ther mechanic work to me. Nothing special about that, most of the people on this form can say the same thing. This truck I just bought is probably a lot more interesting than reading about me!

Bought a 2000 Escalade (GMT435) about a month ago with about 185,500 miles on it. License plates were expired by almost two years so it has been sitting for some time. Drives OK but needs work. The body is in great shape but the seats are in poor condition. I was surprised to find out much of this machine is a 1999 Yukon with a few 1998 parts. It is not up to Cadillac standards, not even close, but it is a very nice truck. The push-button transfer case seems to prefer to be in automatic mode so I have only put 65 miles on it so far to test drive and get it inspected. It will switch to different modes but refuses to stay in 2 wheel high. Hope it is just the usual push-button problem. Ordered a switch that will show up tomorrow. Judging by the condition of the transfer case fluid, it has been running in auto for a while. Previous owner was running the rear axle low on oil. There is an internet folk tale about having the oil well below the fill level check hole and the result was almost enough end play on the driver side axle shaft to drop the C clip. Most of the wear seemed to be on the C clips but I replaced the outer bearings, seals, C clips and Differential Cross Pin. The G80 Gov Lock was slow to kick in on my test drive before buying it and I hope that was due to limited slip additive in the gear oil. Will test the locker after getting the 4X4 switching issues solved. I know better than to hot rod that independent suspension front axle! I have had a couple of pick-ups with the same axles. I am cheap so I am waiting for Walmart to get more Valvoline synthetic ATF. I have not flushed the brownish looking fluid from the transmission yet. Not burnt, just dirty. No idea how old that fluid may be. I will be installing an 18 wheeler size transmission filter that uses a super efficient Fleetguard HF6604 filter. Had great results using them on other vehicles. Extremely fine filtration but big enough to flow way more than needed for this application. Intended as a hydraulic oil filter but it has a synthetic media and epoxy potting that works with fuel, water, engine oil and ATF fluid. It is rated at
TWA MICRON @ BETA=20 1 micron
TWA MICRON @ BETA=75 3 micron
TWA MICRON @ BETA=200 5 micron
Rated Flow: 39.63 gal/min
Yep, hard to believe so here you go:
and

Not to sure I will like all the computer controlled stuff on this truck. I usually prefer all manual gearboxes and front axle for 4X4.
I have been retired for a while. Fortunately I can still do the work myself but it takes a lot longer than it used to.
Not easy getting old but I am enjoying my new project truck.