Howdy from the Texas Hill Country!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lance 1992

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy!

I'm Lance and I live in the Texas Hill Country with my wife, dog and cat. I never thought I would have a cat but keeping mice out of the shop can change your mind. I also think that there is an inverse relationship between the amount of testosterone in your body and you desire for a cat. As I age and my T-Levels drop, I guess I want a cat. I'm really a dog kind of guy. OK, back on topic ... I have a 1992 C1500 Extended Cab Silverado Catalina Blue Metallic that I bought new in late January 1992 and was my daily driver until 2015 when I got a 2500 Diesel High Country. I have kept the 1992 C1500 well maintained, almost always through a dealership. It's sitting at around 224,000 miles and has had every single scheduled maintenance performed. Oil changes and lube every 3000 miles along with other scheduled maintenance per the Owner's Manual. Every single little thing was maintained regularly down to the brake pedal spring, lubing the lock cylinders, e-brake cable and tail gate, and checking the air pressure of the spare tire. After about 150,000 miles, I switched to the other 7,500 mile maintenance schedule. I have a thick folder of every receipt and invoice ever done on the truck. It was my first new vehicle replacing my 1972 Chevelle that has also been in the family since it was new and it still is garaged with the 1992 C1500. Both vehicles are in excellent condition. Well, the paint on the C1500 is mostly gone but no rust and only a few dents. along with needing some upholstery and the other effects of thirty-two years on a truck. However, I plan to address these things, which brings me here.

Late last year, I went to the dealership late last year to buy a battery. I told the guy behind the parts counter what truck I needed it for and his immediate response was, "Do you want to sell it?" He got the battery and asked my name to look create the invoice. He's punching keys on his keyboard for a while and I tell him I've been coming here for twenty years so I should be in the computer. He says, he found me, he's just reviewing my service records. He looks at me with a determined look and says sternly, "If you ever want to sell that truck, you let me know." To me, it is an old truck. I like it, but I never thought anyone else would like it. I almost gave it away to my nephew when my kids were still at home and we didn't have garage space. I had no idea how much these trucks were adored and loved and the widespread and thorough information to be found all over the Internet.

I just retired. I need something to do. I have a thirty feet by fifty feet shop that I planned on using for wood working. While I still have an interest in wood working, it is no longer a passion as it once was. I think I'm going to use the space to restore my truck. I don't know what I'm doing. My previous experience with auto restoration had me doing the hardest part of the job: writing a check. That can really hurt. I am mechanically inclined and I'm not afraid to get in there and get dirty, but I've always been more of a parts changer than a mechanic. I can handle starters, alternators, filters, minor electrical, fluid changes, belts, hoses, et cetera. Internal engine work, suspension, paint and body have always been beyond me. I'm ready to change that. At present, I want to do a frame off restoration and recreate the truck as it was the day I picked it up from Parkway Chevrolet in Tomball, Texas. I judge cars for the Cadillac and LaSalle Club. I'm used to cars having everything correct after a restoration down to bolt markings and seat stitching. I'm also a realist, but getting as close to original will be my goal ... until I end up with a pile of truck in my shop and get sick of it!

I look forward to becoming a part of the community here. I'm not sure how much I will contribute in the beginning, but I will as much as I can for now and hopefully more in the future.

You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Ok, here is a pic of my cat. Like you, I have had both cats and dogs. A cat is a lot easier to take care of. Having a dog, is grate, but, it's like having a child. It needs a lot of attention. Also, like you I recently retired, ( last month) I have had my truck since 2002. Bought it with 85,000 miles, and used it as my daily driver for all of those years. It now has 260,000 plus miles. You will find a lot of grate people here, and a ton of grate info, on this forum. My retirement project is a 1979 L82, 4 speed Corvette. It runs good, and has a lot of mods already done to it. The PO was Autocross racing the car. It will need a Paint job. I spent a lot of time, customizing my truck. About the only thing on it, that is untouched, is the internals of the engine it self. The L31 Vortec is such a grate engine. I go back and forth between driving my truck, and my Vette, now. So here are pic of my truck, and my Corvette.

Attachments

• IMG_20221215_163138000.jpg
    IMG_20221215_163138000.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230621_202353.jpg
    IMG_20230621_202353.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240129_174434783.jpg
    IMG_20240129_174434783.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221026_120337.jpg
    20221026_120337.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220914_061015.jpg
    20220914_061015.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from Alberta Canada.
Nice truck and story. Definitely jealous about the shop!
Had my 91 since 96. And pretty much any time I've had it out in the last few years someone will inquire about taking off my hands. I usually joke me and it are going out of this world together! Lol
Enjoy it, they don't make them like they use too.

Lance 1992

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Orpedcrow, "I don't know what I'm doing." is exactly what I was going to use in my sig or whatever that area on the left is under the picture! I haven't looked into it yet, but I'll add it soon. I'm not copying you, I'm just doing the same thing (think about that-it makes sense!).

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome,

Love the introduction and the truck! Since you mentioned judging high-level restorations and wanting every single thing "as-new" (btw Parkway Chevrolet is just a little bit North of me; I'm in Northwest Houston) - one thing I can warn you about is the extreme difficulty of restoring the seats to original appearance. The fabric is almost completely unavailable, and it's also glued to the seat foam in the depressed line areas of the cushion, if that makes sense. This is the up-level trim style of seats used from 1990-1994. So if 100% as-new is your goal you may need to hunt for a perfect seat from a donor truck; or go ahead and mentally prepare yourself for compromise on the appearance of that one aspect. (same for that striped material on the upper portion of the door panels.)

These trucks are so beloved, in my opinion, because they represent the last era of trucks that GM made that were that magic combination of truly reliable, stylish, modern for their time, easy to work on for the DIY'er, and durable. Each succeeding generation of trucks got considerably more complex and made more and more use of plastic and disposable parts.

Richard