New Guy Here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave3500

Reaction score
Hey folks,

My name is Dave and i have a problem, I am Addicted to trucks well in reality all vehicles. Anyways I am new to the Forum here From South of Louisville.

Ok i do have a question and not sure where to start besides the engine and perfromance section.

IF any one can pitch in or point me in the right directions i have no issues doing my own research. I am currently working with a 1998 C3500 Gen 6 454 it is used as my welding rig so it rides pretty heavy. Its currently not real happy thats about all i have to say about it will barely get out of its own way. Planning to rebuild in the nearish future you could say i have access to all the generations of 454 heads and blocks full engines. My plan with this particular engine am considering changing the heads and cam while its down considering an intake swap but dont particualrly want to get into major modifications to the actual truck trying to leave the truck as stock as possible just wanting to help it a bit with some upgrades just trying to do so as cheaply as possible. figured if i have them ill use Gen 4 heads if not earlier open chambers id have to look through the shop and see what we have on hand, my question with that is i am aware that the heads will fit the gen 6 but will the factory intake work with these heads?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1998 C3500 Gen 6 454

it will barely get out of its own way... ...dont particualrly want to get into major modifications to the actual truck trying to leave the truck as stock as possible
BEFORE you start modifying things, make sure you have all the horsies the truck was born with.

How plugged is the catalytic converter?
What is your fuel pressure at prime, and under load?
How old are the usual "tune-up" items? Cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs, air and fuel filters, charcoal canister/evap system, EGR system checked, throttle linkage checked (does the throttle open fully when the gas pedal is pressed to the carpet?) Do all eight cylinders have reasonable cranking compression?

Pop the valve covers off, verify that the rocker arms all move an appropriate amount.

Brakes dragging?
Auto trans? Torque converter faulty?

Dave3500

Reaction score
headers and exhaust in general are on the list of things to do. As far as all the other tune up items, i have no clue its getting plugs and wires this weekend. the truck has not been maintanied very well as far as the engine goes from what i can tell ive only had it a few months. one thing i have noticed is sometimes it starts first lick some days it takes a hot minute if it will start at all it is very random but will almost always start eventually.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Schurkey. You need to get a baseline of your truck running at its best after doing a tune up and giving it a good once over. It’s a big truck, you’ve got some added weight on there too and big tires.