New here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Desrunner

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just logging on to learn more about the GMT400 platform. My father passed away 2 years ago and I’m trying to keep his 97 C2500 going. Unfortunately, it’s in another state 2000 miles away so the jobs are sporadic.

During the last visit, I replaced the heater core and dried out the carpet inside. Nasty mess but it cleaned up. Also swapped in the correct 190F thermostats for this 6.5 TD. Did a few cosmetic things as well but still have more to do. Notice the new shiny side view mirror??
You must be registered for see images attach

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the champagne / burgundy color combo, and look at how straight those body panels still are! Looks like a nice unit, what are your future plans?

I recommend everyone download the factory service manuals available on here with a search. Coincidentally the '97 manuals are my first stop for the parts of my truck that came from the later times.

Desrunner

Reaction score
I like the champagne / burgundy color combo, and look at how straight those body panels still are! Looks like a nice unit, what are your future plans?

I recommend everyone download the factory service manuals available on here with a search. Coincidentally the '97 manuals are my first stop for the parts of my truck that came from the later times.
Thanks. Lived in the SW most if not all of its life so minimal rust. Working on improving how it rides for now because the engine/tranny are in good shape. Interior is decent too.
You must be registered for see images attach

Desrunner

Reaction score
Welcome from Alberta Canada.
That's a nice looking ride there. Looks like your dad took care of it, now it's your turn.
Yeah, next visit is planned for early March. The to-do list is looking like:
1. Replace door hinge bushings
2. Disassemble most of the AC system so I know what to buy
3. Lower steering shaft
The steering is sloppy. Tie rods were done not too long ago but everything else has 240,000 miles on it. Looking at the CM lower shaft and door hinge bushings. I’m 5 pages deep searching and trying to figure out if I want to buy the steering shaft. Can’t exactly take a look until I get there and then there’s not enough time to order the new part to have it arrive before I leave. Most of what I read indicates a need to replace that. I assume the 2500’s have the same thing as the 1500’s, but I know that the 3500’s are different. Suggestions?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, next visit is planned for early March. The to-do list is looking like:
1. Replace door hinge bushings
2. Disassemble most of the AC system so I know what to buy
3. Lower steering shaft
The steering is sloppy. Tie rods were done not too long ago but everything else has 240,000 miles on it. Looking at the CM lower shaft and door hinge bushings. I’m 5 pages deep searching and trying to figure out if I want to buy the steering shaft. Can’t exactly take a look until I get there and then there’s not enough time to order the new part to have it arrive before I leave. Most of what I read indicates a need to replace that. I assume the 2500’s have the same thing as the 1500’s, but I know that the 3500’s are different. Suggestions?
The best suggestion I can make is do NOT buy Dorman bushings!!!! You will get proficient at changing them, and that's not a good thing! Lol

If your already looking at a Cunningham shaft, may as well add the bushings to your cart. Or the AC Delco ones, expensive ya, apparently a bit of a pain to install, but you are doing it once.