C3500 Chassis cab rollback project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Addy

Reaction score
Hey all
Been a while since I posted up here. Last time I had bought a 93 C3500 SRW truck that ended up being a great project although I ended up selling after I fixed all the little problems it seemed to have. Someone saw it and how clean it was inside and the under 100k miles and they had to have it, so it went away.

Fast forward to today and I've picked up another C3500, but this is a chassis cab DRW that was done up as a custom flatbed by Mac-Lander Inc that at that time was located about 50 miles from where I live.

This truck isn't nearly as clean as the SRW I had but also it was not run in the winter because the last owner ran a concrete company so the truck wasn't run over the road in the winter, and the cab and frame are really clean. Unfortunately the 6.5 TD has a hole in the oil pan so that will need to be replaced (already have spare 6.5) and there are mountains of maintenance needs (brakes, shocks, steering etc) that need to be done too.

The truck was customized; frame extended 2' to make it a 185.5" wheelbase which was previously reserved for the 3500HD trucks. This creates a cab to rear axle measure of 108" which is sufficient to support a rollback bed length of 17', maybe 18', which I've already found in an older Challenger aluminum bed complete with wheel lift and all hydraulics.

Further, the truck is MT with NV4500 which has factory mounting potential for a Chealsea PTO. Also, it's GT5, G80 and GTY so it's a 'widetrack' rear axle with posi. Truck was ordered with tilt, cruise, AC, digital AM/FM radio, cup holder and maybe a few other things too.

Anyway, lots to do, but here are some photos of it, I'm working a lot of hours right now so this will be very slow going for a while.

I managed to get the tires replaced with some reasonable used tires for now, the old ones were junk and the right rear were replaced by newer dually wheels (16x6.5") vs the original 16x6 wheels, so those have been separated and moved inboard when the rear tires were done.

Really looking forward to getting this project going. It'll be fun to have a small rollback to transport my own stuff.

Steve A

EDIT: This truck is 11,000 GVWR but I can't find any information about what potential curb weight for this might be without the flatbed?

First time to visit - notice missing front log nuts and torque ring, and nuts there aren't even tight.
You must be registered for see images attach

Another view at first visit - more lug nuts and torque ring missing, but at least what's there are tight.

After replacing tires and missing wheel parts, staging for moving day.

Moving day pretty much takes up 99% of the 21' bed.

Last edited:

Joeturtle

Reaction score
I have a stupid question. What is the difference between a cab& chassis and a regular dually? If any, how can I tell if my truck is a cab & chassis or just a dually with a flatbed?

Attachments

• IMG_3153.jpeg
    IMG_3153.jpeg
    693.5 KB · Views: 9

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a stupid question. What is the difference between a cab& chassis and a regular dually? If any, how can I tell if my truck is a cab & chassis or just a dually with a flatbed?
C&C have more of a universal design on the frame past the rear of the cab. Generally ladder straight frame rails instead of tapered, 34" apart, and an extra 4" added to the wheelbase - this facilitates upfitting of a large number of beds such as flatbeds, utility boxes, wrecker beds, etc. in addition to these differences the rear end is usually narrower as well, about 8" narrower overall, to keep the tires within the bedsides instead of requiring the large flared fenders typical on a dually pickup bed. On a regular dually pickup, the inside rear tires are usually in line with the front tires, where on a C&C the front tires tend to line up dead in the middle of the rear tires. Hope that all makes sense.

That narrow rear end in your pic implies it is likely a C&C. edit - I remembered I made a really simple illustration a while back to point out the difference in a regular dually rear vs. a C&C dually rear:

Richard

Last edited: