Hello All- New here with a new project!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danimal08

Reaction score
Well the more I'm digging into this, the shortblock is in pretty good shape. It looks to have been recently rebuilt. 030 over and some possible journal work or rebuilder crank...seems to measure 3.520 on the stroke with about a .028 quench. It's super clean overall.

All of the cylinders still look to have some crosshatch. Very little if any discernible ring ridge. Even found tattle tale overheat indicators in freeze plugs and they were good.

I'm gonna pull this thing apart and clean everything, measure, check bearings, deglaze and rering, and reassemble. Looking at summit 8800 cam on the stock heads with behive springs. Going to upgrade to 411 pcm. Looking at either summit vortec heads, or having local shop check and clean up the 062 vortecs.

Any thoughts or inputs? Looking to tow at most a 6,000 lb boat with this thing down I75 to KY/TN. Want it to be durable and not hunt gears the entire trip like my gmt800.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20240227_193908.jpg
    20240227_193908.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 1

Danimal08

Reaction score
I also left out that it had the crappy plastic intake gaskets that came apart in pieces when I took it apart. Also very little torque if any on the front two intake bolts...all of the coolant passages were full of stop leak...guessing more likely than not that intake gasket was the problem