Hello All- New here with a new project!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danimal08

Reaction score
I'm Dan and I'm a GMT400-aholic.

Now that we have that out of the way, I'm embarking on a new journey to "restore" an old truck. I got hooked on these things after not being let into prom in 2002 because I busted out a sweet parking lot donut in my uncle's 97 (still discussed 20 years later- worth it)! Nobody in the mustangs or vettes would do it... my date was pleased:rolleyes:. They eventually let me in after I promised to help clean the next day.

I picked up this 99 OBS last fall in Idaho. This is my third GMT400. First one I sold with 350k on it and my dad is still driving my last one with 250k. Got a fairly decent deal on a mostly rust free (surface only) truck with 230k miles. Jumped in, topped off the oil, and fired it home on the scenic route to Indiana 2000 miles. All-in-all a good trip, but for whatever reason at altitude in Yellowstone, she was a little down on oil pieces. Had a knock and some clatter for 70 miles at low RPM :confused:. Hit lower elevation and everything was great, so I did the right thing and sent it around 90mph across Wyoming and Iowa. When I got around to changing the oil, I noticed some coolant in the oil. A gasket set is in order... The 5.7 will likely be swapped for an LS variant at some point, so not terribly concerned.

This one is the one I've always wanted. Pewter Metallic, "Heavy Duty" suspension and axle, third door, grey interior. It was a little bit more beat up than described/expected (good from afar, but far from good), but overall a really decent starting point for a "restoration". Not going for a show queen, just a decent looking every-other daily driver that I'm going to try to keep out of the salt. I'm restoring the interior, mechanicals, and exterior. I'm planning to do a panel-by-panel repaint after working dents as time allows. I've not done body work, so that will be a new challenge for me. I spent 10 years as an engineer at Honda, and have wrenched on everything under the sun, so the rest will be an easy undertaking.

So far I've put a decent, mostly not cigarette-burned, 60/40 split front seat in for the family, new carpet, insulation, and sound deadener. Headliner is next, and trying to track down a driver door panel in good shape. The dash isn't cracked (yet), so I have that going for me!

I've started sanding the bedsides and will be cleaning and POR-ing the frame when the bed is off for paint.

I plan to chronical the journey here. Wish me luck! Any suggestions on decent parts (bumpers, trim, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. Planning to stay with the stock look.
You must be registered for see images attach

Cant leave out the current daily... Its a Chevy, but not a GMT400. Its future upgrades include a "For Sale" sign...

Danimal08

Reaction score
After shots of interior work and clean-up so far... Sorry, no before shots. Went with ACC carpet from Rock Auto. It left a lot to be desired. Would have been nice to know a definitive datum as a starting point. Also, jute padding (absolutely nowhere near stock thickness) was glued with gaps that caused wrinkles (I was able to fix), and folding left wrinkles in the middle of the floor in the rear. I had to trim an awful lot for a "direct fit" replacement...

Thinking about going with the suburban Weather Techs- Trying to decide between grey and black. I think black might be a nice contrast to match the meter bezel, but grey wont show dirt.

Id like to have the driver seat repadded and recovered, but I doubt any of this material exists anymore.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan, welcome to the forum! Honda engineer, eh? Nice! You’ve peaked my curiosity! While I was a technician, I visited the Honda training facility in Irving on several occasions. Great place.

Your new find looks to be in great condition. For a 20-year old vehicle, they are difficult to find [for sale] in any better condition.

I would give it a thorough inspection, top to bottom, inside and outside. The to-do list for a 20-year old vehicle is long, but that’s part of the fun of having a new project. Congratulations and enjoy!

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went with ACC carpet from Rock Auto. It left a lot to be desired. Would have been nice to know a definitive datum as a starting point. Also, jute padding (absolutely nowhere near stock thickness) was glued with gaps that caused wrinkles (I was able to fix), and folding left wrinkles in the middle of the floor in the rear. I had to trim an awful lot for a "direct fit" replacement...

That’s not good to hear. I am likely going with ACC as well. It is known that they provide a lot to trim off, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It would of course be nice to have an exact fit, but I guess they found at some point that it’s difficult to do and to just provide the customer with more than enough material to avoid returns.

The wrinkles caused by the glue & caps is worrying. Did you notify their customer service? For the amount they charge for carpet, those problems shouldn’t exist.

Id like to have the driver seat repadded and recovered, but I doubt any of this material exists anymore.
I doubt so as well. You’re left with either cleaning the original, re-upholstering to a similar appearing cloth, or going for leather.

Danimal08

Reaction score
Hey Dan, welcome to the forum! Honda engineer, eh? Nice! You’ve peaked my curiosity! While I was a technician, I visited the Honda training facility in Irving on several occasions. Great place.

Your new find looks to be in great condition. For a 20-year old vehicle, they are difficult to find [for sale] in any better condition.

I would give it a thorough inspection, top to bottom, inside and outside. The to-do list for a 20-year old vehicle is long, but that’s part of the fun of having a new project. Congratulations and enjoy!
Thanks! I enjoyed my time at Honda. I was an electrical guy, and did hybrid ptrain development.

Danimal08

Reaction score
That’s not good to hear. I am likely going with ACC as well. It is known that they provide a lot to trim off, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It would of course be nice to have an exact fit, but I guess they found at some point that it’s difficult to do and to just provide the customer with more than enough material to avoid returns.

The wrinkles caused by the glue & caps is worrying. Did you notify their customer service? For the amount they charge for carpet, those problems shouldn’t exist.

I doubt so as well. You’re left with either cleaning the original, re-upholstering to a similar appearing cloth, or going for leather.
I didn't, and probably should've. I didn't document any of it. I was ok with excess to trim on the sides, but I will tell you cuss words will be had over getting the excess in and around the center tunnel and accelerator pedal and the rear seat brackets. I wish they would datum their carpet off the accelerator pedal position so you don't have to trim to make the fit around the HVAC vents. The floor mats will cover the slight wrinkles in the back. They are almost gone after a few months. Its been in the garage since I bought it. Hoping to have it on the road by summer.