14Bolt FF G80 vs open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do you tell a G80 from an open carrier on a 14Bolt Full Floater?

I can’t check RPO codes as the rearend came on a parts truck and it was previously swapped (based on gear ratio in rearend vs RPO tag)

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there are axle build codes on the top of the passenger side axle tube stamped into the tube dot matrix like, other than that pulling the diff cover and looking in the carrier.

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think there are axle build codes on the top of the passenger side axle tube stamped into the tube dot matrix like, other than that pulling the diff cover and looking in the carrier.

Is it obvious on a full floater between the two?
I thought the diff carrier looked the same from the outside (with diff cover off)

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the axle is in a driving truck, raise one wheel clear of the ground and engage drive with engine running and brake applied. A G80 will drive the other wheel when the brake is released.
Not sure if that works on a 4WD but it does on a 2WD with a 9.5'' SF and G80.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it obvious on a full floater between the two?
I thought the diff carrier looked the same from the outside (with diff cover off)
The G80 should have a governor and other extra parts, open will just have spider gears.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the axle is in a driving truck, raise one wheel clear of the ground and engage drive with engine running and brake applied. A G80 will drive the other wheel when the brake is released.
Not sure if that works on a 4WD but it does on a 2WD with a 9.5'' SF and G80.
Didn't think about that lol.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was recent thread about the same question. No, you can't identify it from the outside.

The insides or guts on this particular differential are actually inside the carrier, but if you open the cover you should be able to see. Look here: