XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe I paid $14 for my Jeep shaft at Pull-A-Part. I can't slide mine on and off the steering shaft with the bolt in place. The bolt on the top end of mine is trapped by the groove I ground.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I believe I paid $14 for my Jeep shaft at Pull-A-Part. I can't slide mine on and off the steering shaft with the bolt in place. The bolt on the top end of mine is trapped by the groove I ground.

I'm sure some of y'all are having better luck than I did with the Jeep shaft, especially with headers.. your picture reminded me that the reason I gave up on mine was the headers cooked the rubber in the coupler right there next to it (#3 cylinder tube) and the shaft started clunking.

I went back with the Borge$on unit afterwards. The coupler is higher up the shaft and nowhere near the header tubes. It's got a rag joint at the bottom, but at least it's a new one, so upper and lower joints are new and the shaft works great. According to Borgeson this particular part is for 1992-1994 only, don't know why they feel it isn't suitable for 1988-1993 GMT400's.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't the upper clamp intended to be attached with a bolt through the BOLT HOLE in the steering column? It's nucking futs to use a part that merely "clamps" when the engineered intention was to put the clamping bolt into shear as well.

I don't know what you guys are paying for a "Jeep" or "Ram" steering shaft that then needs to be modified; when it was me I used Genuine GM parts that dropped into place with zero modification beyond needing a longer bolt (also Genuine GM) at the steering gear attachment.

Losing the shiity, small, wiped-out rag joint was worth every bit of the ~$220 cost. Among the best and most cost-effective mods I ever did to that truck, with the 9.5" semi-float axle with attached 11.x Duo-Servo rear brakes coming in a close second, at almost triple the cost.
Which GM part, by the way, and what year model truck did you install it into? Curious and haven't read every post in the 52 page long thread to know. I do know the original intermediate shaft for the 1994-older trucks has been discontinued for quite some time.

Richard

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure some of y'all are having better luck than I did with the Jeep shaft, especially with headers.. your picture reminded me that the reason I gave up on mine was the headers cooked the rubber in the coupler right there next to it (#3 cylinder tube) and the shaft started clunking.

I went back with the Borge$on unit afterwards. The coupler is higher up the shaft and nowhere near the header tubes. It's got a rag joint at the bottom, but at least it's a new one, so upper and lower joints are new and the shaft works great. According to Borgeson this particular part is for 1992-1994 only, don't know why they feel it isn't suitable for 1988-1993 GMT400's.

Richard
I have that same shaft. My rag joint tore about 3 years later. Luckily, it was while my truck was out of service & being pushed onto a lift. The current rag joint is about 3 years old now, so I keep a close eye on it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have that same shaft. My rag joint tore about 3 years later. Luckily, it was while my truck was out of service & being pushed onto a lift. The current rag joint is about 3 years old now, so I keep a close eye on it.
Wack.. so the Borge$on-supplied rag joint might possibly suck worse than OEM as far as longevity. Good to know. Did they warranty you one or did you ask? What brand is in there now?

Richard

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wack.. so the Borge$on-supplied rag joint might possibly suck worse than OEM as far as longevity. Good to know. Did they warranty you one or did you ask? What brand is in there now?

Richard
I called but they wouldn’t do anything since I couldn’t find my proof of purchase. The rag joint in there now is one my uncle had on his shelf. I think it’s a Dorman.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/upgrade-steering-parts.47563/

I used GM shaft # 26015779 which came to about $200 with tax.

Which GM part, by the way, and what year model truck did you install it into?
Yes, the GM shaft is discontinued. I found one, but maybe they're all gone by now. Dorman sells a Chinese replacement.

Originally for a C3500, I put it onto an '88 K1500. Apparently works for any GMT400 that doesn't have the additional joint in the steering columm; which--I guess--started in '95 on airbag-equipped vehicles.

The UPPER bolt connects exactly like the original--through the bolt hole intended by GM. Also needed: A new GM bolt for the steering gear end. A touch longer than the original.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the GM shaft is discontinued. I found one, but maybe they're all gone by now. Dorman sells a Chinese replacement.

Originally for a C3500, I put it onto an '88 K1500. Apparently works for any GMT400 that doesn't have the additional joint in the steering columm; which--I guess--started in '95 on airbag-equipped vehicles.

The UPPER bolt connects exactly like the original--through the bolt hole intended by GM. Also needed: A new GM bolt for the steering gear end. A touch longer than the original.
One question, will it work with a 3” body lift?