XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the GM shaft is discontinued. I found one, but maybe they're all gone by now. Dorman sells a Chinese replacement.

Originally for a C3500, I put it onto an '88 K1500. Apparently works for any GMT400 that doesn't have the additional joint in the steering columm; which--I guess--started in '95 on airbag-equipped vehicles.
You must be registered for see images attach

The UPPER bolt connects exactly like the original--through the bolt hole intended by GM. Also needed: A new GM bolt for the steering gear end. A touch longer than the original.
Good deal and thanks for the part #'s. If you look it up by application, at least on GMPD's site, it shows a different part # and that it is discontinued. The part # you show is available (possibly) through GMPD and also other sources, with no application info shown on GMPD. Non-rag joint style lower shaft #26015779 shows to be for 1990-2002 C3500's according to Rock, but I don't believe that is accurate. 1995 is indeed the steering column change (regardless of airbag) and I wouldn't bet money that these parts swap into that design.

Coincidentally, I have a GM intermediate shaft on my workbench right now for my wife's 06 Silverado SS; these of course are notorious for clunking and have been revised numerous times over the years. I replaced the shaft and lower column bushing in my 06 SS a while back, and it's past due on hers. She honestly doesn't notice/care but every once in a while I drive her truck to check it over and do maintenance and it drives me nuts with the clunking. Dorman has one for those trucks too but I'm not a buyer. GM had a hard enough time getting it right..

Richard

Krscouveau

Reaction score
Talk about shooting themselves in the foot.

What the hell is "Old Body Style" in '88? Clearly, that's the squarebody as used on the SUVs, not the GMT400 as used on the pickups. Could they be any LESS clear about what this fits?

Once again, I proclaim my distaste of using the terms "Old body style (OBS) and "New body style (NBS) and New-new body style (NNBS). The terms become ambiguous over time.

'Cause if you own a GMC you're just out of luck.

Maybe this is a fine product, but the web-site needs real work.
Has anyone used this? My steering is all over the place and I would like to do the swap. Finding a Jeep shaft might be tough at this point. I have a 1993. What years shaft should I look for at the junkyard?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used this? My steering is all over the place and I would like to do the swap. Finding a Jeep shaft might be tough at this point. I have a 1993. What years shaft should I look for at the junkyard?
Why not buy the GM shaft instead of aftermarket stuff created and marketed by idiots?

There may still be some Genuine GM C3500 U-joint shafts in dealer inventory. That's how I got mine...but they are discontinued and are now an endangered species if not actually extinct.

If they are extinct, Dorman sells an aftermarket replacement. It's Chinese, which I dislike, but it seems to be adequate otherwise.

You'd also need a longer bolt for the coupling by the steering gear. One new shaft, one new bolt, installs with the original top bolt. Couldn't be easier.

Part numbers are listed previously in this thread, I'm too lazy to look them up.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What years shaft should I look for at the junkyard?
I walked through Pull-A-Part until I found an early '90s Jeep Cherokee. I'm not sure what year it was.

From my build thread:
This upgrade literally takes half an hour. I unbolted the old shaft, put the newer shaft in the vice, heated it with a propane torch, hit the slip with the air hammer, used a pick to remove the plastic remnants, wire wheeled the paint off it until I could collapse it to the same length as the stock piece, greased it lightly, checked the length and used a cutoff wheel to gently groove the column shaft for the upper bolt, loc-tited both bolts and installed them, and painted the bare metal that was exposed at the bottom. Awesome, easy upgrade. Sorry, no pics on this one yet.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
26015779 steering shaft for the 95+ C3500 is not discon through GM, currently on supplier backorder though.

Krscouveau

Reaction score
26015779 steering shaft for the 95+ C3500 is not discon through GM, currently on supplier backorder though.
I was able to buy the 26015779 and longer bolt from rock auto. Does it bolt right on or will I need to modify like the Jeep shaft? Thanks everyone. I just got mine a week ago. I have a lot to learn.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was able to buy the 26015779 and longer bolt from rock auto. Does it bolt right on or will I need to modify like the Jeep shaft? Thanks everyone. I just got mine a week ago. I have a lot to learn.
Take pics and keep us posted I'm curious for my burb.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd also need a longer bolt for the coupling by the steering gear. One new shaft, one new bolt, installs with the original top bolt. Couldn't be easier.
I was able to buy the 26015779 and longer bolt from rock auto.
Good to know.

Does it bolt right on or will I need to modify like the Jeep shaft?
Remove old shaft, save upper fastener. Install shaft with original upper fastener, and new lower bolt.
COULDN'T BE EASIER.

As far as I know for 95+ trucks it's a direct bolt in.
Doesn't work on any truck equipped with airbags. Direct bolt-in for '88 up to 94-ish, or whenever they moved the joint on the steering column from the engine-compartment side to the passenger-compartment side. Best I can tell, the whole point of this shaft was because the C3500(HD?) didn't have air bags (GVW high enough to avoid Federal mandate?) But as said earlier in this thread, applicaton info is tough to come by

It's all in this thread. It would be a TREMENDOUS SERVICE to the community if moderators would clean-out all the dead weight of misinformation and repeated questions. The thread is way too long to be valuable--53 pages on my computer--folks can't find the info they need.

Krscouveau

Reaction score
Good to know.

Remove old shaft, save upper fastener. Install shaft with original upper fastener, and new lower bolt.
COULDN'T BE EASIER.

Doesn't work on any truck equipped with airbags. Direct bolt-in for '88 up to 94-ish, or whenever they moved the joint on the steering column from the engine-compartment side to the passenger-compartment side. Best I can tell, the whole point of this shaft was because the C3500(HD?) didn't have air bags (GVW high enough to avoid Federal mandate?) But as said earlier in this thread, applicaton info is tough to come by

It's all in this thread. It would be a TREMENDOUS SERVICE to the community if moderators would clean-out all the dead weight of misinformation and repeated questions. The thread is way too long to be valuable--53 pages on my computer--folks can't find the info they need.
Thank you very much for your help. I read through the thread and there was so much noise, I lost track of what worked and what doesn’t.
I’m excited to do the fix. Thinking I’ll need to replace the gearbox too but one thing at a time.