XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Does anyone have a part number for the jeep XJ direct easiest sawp out to a non-rag joint shaft for 88 - 94 GMC K series truck.
The OEM Cherokee shaft has been long discontinued, you won't really find them new anymore. Go to a junkyard or buy a used one off someone parting out a Cherokee.

Campnutbrad

Reaction score
The OEM Cherokee shaft has been long discontinued, you won't really find them new anymore. Go to a junkyard or buy a used one off someone parting out a Cherokee.
Hi, i see jeep and cherokee available new at jegs, summitt and Amazon, I am in central Ontario Canada anything sitting in a recycle yard will be past being good. I was just hoping someone would have completed the upgrade with a part from a new supplier.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're buying "new", why on Earth would you put the Jeep shaft into an '88--'94 truck when there's a Genuine GM (or Dorman replacement) that fits without modification?

Campnutbrad

Reaction score
If you're buying "new", why on Earth would you put the Jeep shaft into an '88--'94 truck when there's a Genuine GM (or Dorman replacement) that fits without modification?
There are so many members talking about removing the rag joint to remove the play. I not seeing any direct GMC replacement under $400, but seeing the jeep swap at half that. I was reading Grown Auto snd Borgeson Tech have units just wanted the part numbers so i dont get the wrong one.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GM part numbers for the shaft and the one longer bolt needed, have already been posted in this thread. This thread is so overgrown with bad info and duplicate posts as to be cumbersome and non-helpful.

Last I heard, the GM shaft has been discontinued, but there were still some in dealer stock unsold. Another guy claimed they weren't discontinued, just "supply chain problems".

Anyway, I bought a new GM shaft about two years ago, and the Stealership also had the "special" bolt. Dorman supplied an aftermarket version. I don't remember the Dorman part number.

Shaft (From C3500HD, I think.)
You must be registered for see images attach

Longer bolt for U-joint shaft, above, compared to orignal bolt used with rag-joint shaft.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this! My local GM dealer wanted 255 for it and the guy warned me it could be dangerous because that rag joint was there to break in case of a sudden shock to the steering.
He's an idiot. They did it for NVH - noise, vibration, and harshness. It was a bad solution to a minimal problem.

I'm a cheapskate and I put a Jeep shaft in my truck, but I agree with Schurkey. If you're going to pay for new, get the GM piece.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I haven't decided what i am doing with the steering shaft yet on my truck. I am debating the Cunningham Machine shaft for my 95, they also have an 88-94 shaft too.

88-94 trucks
95+ trucks

battyice

Reaction score
The GM part numbers for the shaft and the one longer bolt needed, have already been posted in this thread. This thread is so overgrown with bad info and duplicate posts as to be cumbersome and non-helpful.

Last I heard, the GM shaft has been discontinued, but there were still some in dealer stock unsold. Another guy claimed they weren't discontinued, just "supply chain problems".

Anyway, I bought a new GM shaft about two years ago, and the Stealership also had the "special" bolt. Dorman supplied an aftermarket version. I don't remember the Dorman part number.

Shaft (From C3500HD, I think.)

Longer bolt for U-joint shaft, above, compared to orignal bolt used with rag-joint shaft.

Hello. I ordered the shaft and bolt pictured with the goal of installing in my 1997 C2500 Suburban. The issue I ran into is that the bolt that joins the intermediate shaft to the steering shaft fits loose. I ordered a new bolt for a C3500 and it turned out to be the same as mine. Any suggestions?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hello. I ordered the shaft and bolt pictured with the goal of installing in my 1997 C2500 Suburban. The issue I ran into is that the bolt that joins the intermediate shaft to the steering shaft fits loose. I ordered a new bolt for a C3500 and it turned out to be the same as mine. Any suggestions?
Yes. Find someone to buy it from you. It doesn't work in the '95+ vehicles with the steering column joint in the passenger compartment; which as far as I can tell is related to air bag installations. (The Jeep shaft doesn't work in those applications, either.) In those cases--GM, Dorman, or Jeep shaft--additional modifications are needed on the '95+ vehicles, which are supposedly detailed "on page 31" according to the title of this thread, but good luck sorting out viable info from chaff.

Last edited: