XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Write a new thread. Get it stickied. Get this one un-stickied and locked.

Basically, someone needs to write up the pros and cons of all the options in one post. I'd do it, but I'm about to be solid busy until Tuesday.

I'm thinking it should be titled "Rag Joint Replacements" and should cover:
Stock shaft
Early vs late issues
XJ shaft
C3500 shaft
Aftermarket - Cunningham, etc.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone here ever buy from Cunningham Machine?.
I ordered a lower shaft for my truck on the 5th but have not received it yet. Sent a email at 5am this morning inquiring when it might ship but still have no reply. Try to call tomorrow and see whats up.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Anyone here ever buy from Cunningham Machine?.
I ordered a lower shaft for my truck on the 5th but have not received it yet. Sent a email at 5am this morning inquiring when it might ship but still have no reply. Try to call tomorrow and see whats up.
I ordered his door bushings. Been a while but I think he had them all in stock so was a quick order. He was pretty responsive to msgs. Remember today (Monday) was a holiday so may have been closed.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang forgot to update. The very next day after posting i got a shipping tracking number from him. Should be here friday.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it arrived yesterday.
Installed it today. It fit perfect and is very well made and leaves no chance for slop between the steering wheel and gearbox. Steering is still slightly loose though but way better.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it arrived yesterday.
Installed it today. It fit perfect and is very well made and leaves no chance for slop between the steering wheel and gearbox. Steering is still slightly loose though but way better.
My lower steering shaft should arrive on Friday, however, I do have the Dorman upper and their website (Cunningham Machine) states that slight modifications will need to be made to make their steering shaft fit. Any idea what modifications it will need based on your install? I assume you have the stock upper? Thanks

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry no idea.
All i had to do on mine was unhook the rag joint, unbolt the upper shaft from the top as i could not slide the bottom shaft out in the truck because there was just not enough room.
Slide the old shaft out of the upper, slide the new one in and reassemble.
Took like 1/2 hour total. Very easy.

My guess is the Dorman part is a slightly different size where it slides together.

Judman13

Reaction score
Yes, the GM shaft is discontinued. I found one, but maybe they're all gone by now. Dorman sells a Chinese replacement.

Originally for a C3500, I put it onto an '88 K1500. Apparently works for any GMT400 that doesn't have the additional joint in the steering columm; which--I guess--started in '95 on airbag-equipped vehicles.

The UPPER bolt connects exactly like the original--through the bolt hole intended by GM. Also needed: A new GM bolt for the steering gear end. A touch longer than the original.
Thank you for this! My local GM dealer wanted 255 for it and the guy warned me it could be dangerous because that rag joint was there to break in case of a sudden shock to the steering.

I ended up finding it online for 170 shipped. I feel a whole lot better about this than the Jeep method!