Upgrade steering parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryan Wochna

Reaction score
Hopefully I'm in the correct spot. I have a 96 z71 1500. Was thinking about upgrading my steering from 1500 to 2500 or 3500 steering parts. Has anyone foes this or know if it's gonna be a bigger problem then I'm thinking.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Hopefully I'm in the correct spot. I have a 96 z71 1500. Was thinking about upgrading my steering from 1500 to 2500 or 3500 steering parts. Has anyone foes this or know if it's gonna be a bigger problem then I'm thinking.

I believe the steering parts are the same, with the exception of the gear box.

What problem are you having?

Bryan Wochna

Reaction score
Not having any problems, was just thinking about diffrent upgrades cause ive been doing a few on the truck. In the process of adding a rear sway bar, did a few interior upgrades, gonne be upgrading the suspension later down the road and figured why not look into steering but was insure if they were the same or not. Or if it be a pain to do.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Not having any problems, was just thinking about diffrent upgrades cause ive been doing a few on the truck. In the process of adding a rear sway bar, did a few interior upgrades, gonne be upgrading the suspension later down the road and figured why not look into steering but was insure if they were the same or not. Or if it be a pain to do.

You could replace the rag joint with a u-joint. There is one available from a company called something like Flaming River.... Borgeson might have something. You could also bypass the EVO, but I'm not sure a 96 has it to begin with. The steering system doesn't have the week tie-rods like the GMT-800's.

Bryan Wochna

Reaction score
You could replace the rag joint with a u-joint. There is one available from a company called something like Flaming River.... Borgeson might have something. You could also bypass the EVO, but I'm not sure a 96 has it to begin with. The steering system doesn't have the week tie-rods like the GMT-800's.

Thanks for the info. I usually deal with one ton steering components on most of my trucks. This actually the first truck ive had that I wasnt sure if upgrading would be worth it

stratton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
bolted right into my 94 k1500. have not drove it yet. because LS swap is just know finishing up. plus have the rear out doing the 14bolt 6 lug rear with disk upgrade.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That video is on the Jeep shaft swap.... you may not be able to do that. The later GMT-400's, and I'm not sure when that started, used a different design.... you can INSTALL the Jeep shaft, but you end up having a dangerous situation because you end up with 3 joints... there's one hidden under the dash on the later trucks.
Unless he's replaced the video, the guy is installing a Dorman C3500 shaft, not a Jeep shaft. Dorman # 425-177.

The only application Dorman shows is '88--'02 C3500. No K-series, no 1500s or 2500s.

IF (big IF) it actually works in the 1500 and 2500s, C and K, it'd be a real bonus. Too bad it's Chinese.

There is a difference in the later (95-up?) steering columns, having an extra joint in them, which may or may not be due to airbags. Perhaps the 3500s didn't get airbags, so they used the older-style column? I don't know.